From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Amiga UX and Ada
Date: 31 Jan 91 22:07:30 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Jan29.051947.27478@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>>Of course, I know some people who would be perfectly willing to use
>>inexpensive unvalidated Ada compilers, or even not-quite-Ada, since
>>then development could be done on workstations, etc.
>
>I actually have considered writing a ada-subset (keep in mind that
>"Ada" is legally protected to  the point that you can't sell
>an "Ada compiler") compiler, but I can't justify the time expenditure.

I think your information on this may be outdated. The government has
allowed the trademark to lapse; the essence of it is if you want to sell
unvalidated Ada and I want to buy it, Uncle Sam shouldn't stop us from
making a deal. _Validated_ Ada is required for _government_ software,
but for nongovernment work the government does not get involved any more.
Ada is _no longer_ "legally protected"; the trademark lapsed in 1988.
IMHO, the government did the right thing.

Mike Feldman