From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: ada game programming or other sound solutions?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:57:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-04-03T09:57:05-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Everyone

I am still having trouble getting my project started. Sorry for cluttering the list with more dumb questions.

I have abandoned my hopes of creating a gstreamer binding and I am trying to focus on smaller simpler solutions. I basically need to draw pictures to a screen and have keys create sounds as a child types, low latency is import to me.

I was thinking about using the ada-gtk binding and writing a small binding to a sound library. I have been able to to create some small bindings that compiled but I have hit several dead ends as the underlying Linux sound system seem like a murky world. For instances I was able to create a thin binding for both pulseaudio and portaudio but then I could not figure out how to write a program as there is very little documentation even in C.

So my question is, is there anyone building open source games in ada that use sound? could someone refer me to some sample code?

If anyone has any general feedback on creating sounds with ada that would be great too. I have read the chapter in big book of ada linux programming

Thanks for reading-Patrick