From: sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Subject: Re: optimizating compilers (VMS ADA)
Date: 21 Jan 88 21:18:34 GMT	[thread overview]

Noam Tene (TENE@TECHMAX.BITNET) writes:
>I am NOT saying that the optimized code is or should be legal I am
>saying that IF you want faster execution you must PAY for it. VAX
>ADA does NOT use the optimizer by default (unless the system manager
>interferes with it) if it had it would have been a bug. As it is
>trying to use the program with an optimizer is wrong. You may as
>well compile with a NOCHECK qualifier and complain that the compiler
>does not raise the necessary exceptions, if it doesn't its because
>you asked it not to.

This discussion is going round and round it seems. It would at
least be grateful if the debateurs kept to facts. I've just check
out two VMS machines. Extracting the Ada command on both gives
that /OPTIMIZE is the deafult. (To be accurate /OPTIMIZE=TIME is
the default.) This was Ada V1.4. Have you a newer version?
  So according to Tene there is a bug the compiler at that point,
but I can't see where the bug lies. Can you point me the page in
the LRM that forbids optimization?

>I'm afraid you got me backwards. In this I'm on your side and so is the
>VMS ADA compiler. The user made that promise when he compiled with
>an OPTIMIZE qualifier which is not the default, using the NOOPTIMIZE
>pragma would override that qualifier and may solve his problem.

Wrong again. At least my understanding of HELP ADA/OPTIMIZE was
that the qualifier overrides the pragma.
--
Erland Sommarskog
ENEA Data, Stockholm        "Will you remember president Reagan