From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Fixed Point number mul, is it a bug?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 07:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-10-18T07:40:44-07:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:42:26 AM UTC-7, Ian Clifton wrote:

> Didn’t some IBM machines have a floating‐point format where the exponent
> was decimal rather than binary?

I don't know about IBM, but my first programming job was on a Burroughs mainframe (B3500, I think) that represented *all* numbers in decimal--integer, floating-point, everything.  I don't even think it had any binary arithmetic instructions (although I think it did have bitwise AND, OR, XOR operations).  Even operand addresses in instructions were in decimal (hex digits A-F in certain positions in an address signified some special indexing mode, hex digits in other places would just cause a fault).

                         -- Adam