* Are jgnat tools compatible with Java 2?
@ 2003-05-06  1:40 Peter Milliken
From: Peter Milliken @ 2003-05-06  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am just starting to explore jgnat-1.1p(NT) and found the first thing
I attempted failing. I have Sun's j2sdk1.4.0_01 loaded on my computer,
so I attempted the example shown in the jgnat user's guide for
creating Ada package specs from Java .jar files with (Chapter 6):

jvm2ada rt.jar

The command failed. The full sequence is:

roebourne#1(/c/j2sdk1.4.0_01/jre/lib)$ jvm2ada rt.jar
jvm2ada: Bad class file: bad minor version
[exited with 4]

Since I was able to successfully execute the "hello world" program
provided in the "Getting Started" section, I assume that this is most
likely a compatability problem with the tool set that comes with jgnat
1.1p.

Is there anyway around this problem? Has anyone managed to
successfully develop code using jgnat for Java 2 that interfaces to
existing Java 2 classes? I assume that to do this, you would need to
generate Ada package spec's for the Java classes.....

Thanks
Peter

* Re: Are jgnat tools compatible with Java 2?
@ 2003-05-06 16:24 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2003-05-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

peterm@resmed.com.au (Peter Milliken) wrote in message news:<f5fba8a4.0305051740.302bdf91@posting.google.com>...
> I am just starting to explore jgnat-1.1p(NT) and found the first thing
> I attempted failing. I have Sun's j2sdk1.4.0_01 loaded on my computer,
> so I attempted the example shown in the jgnat user's guide for
> creating Ada package specs from Java .jar files with (Chapter 6):

JGNAT 1.1p worked pretty well with j2sdk 1.2; I considered it _almost_
production quality.  With 1.3, however, tasking broke, so I expected
that all bets would be off for 1.4 and beyond.  And your experience,
and another's who previously posted here tends to support that
conjecture.

JGNAT is no longer being supported by ACT, so there's not much to do
unless you want to take on the maintenance yourself.

Marc A. Criley
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com