* GNAT and Vista?
@ 2006-12-17 15:04 Bernd Specht
From: Bernd Specht @ 2006-12-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has someone already exxperience with GNAT on Windows Vista?

Does it work? And even such tools like GPS, GVD, AdaGIDE?

Some friends told me that Win32-API based applications are no longer
supported on Vista (only dot Net).

* Re: GNAT and Vista?
@ 2006-12-17 15:55 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-12-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Specht

Bernd Specht a �crit :
> Some friends told me that Win32-API based applications are no longer
> supported on Vista (only dot Net).

This is just impossible or it means that 95% of the current applications
running on Windows are not working on Vista.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: GNAT and Vista?
@ 2006-12-17 22:33   ` Kevin K
From: Kevin K @ 2006-12-17 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 567 bytes --]

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:55:47 UTC, Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:

> Bernd Specht a �crit :
> > Some friends told me that Win32-API based applications are no longer
> > supported on Vista (only dot Net).
>
> This is just impossible or it means that 95% of the current applications
> running on Windows are not working on Vista.
>
> Pascal.

Win16 applications aren't supported on 64 bit XP.  Maybe 16 bit code
isn't supported on Vista too.

Remember, pretty much all malware is Win32 compatible.  Can't
eliminate the major reason to run Windows :)

* Re: GNAT and Vista?
@ 2006-12-18 15:22 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-12-18 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernd Specht wrote:

> Has someone already exxperience with GNAT on Windows Vista?
>
> Does it work? And even such tools like GPS, GVD, AdaGIDE?
>
> Some friends told me that Win32-API based applications are no longer
> supported on Vista (only dot Net).

The Win16-API is not. Win32-API should be ok.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: GNAT and Vista?
@ 2006-12-18 19:26 ` Wiljan Derks
From: Wiljan Derks @ 2006-12-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bernd Specht" <Bernd.Specht@gmx.com> wrote in message
> Has someone already exxperience with GNAT on Windows Vista?
>
> Does it work? And even such tools like GPS, GVD, AdaGIDE?
>
> Some friends told me that Win32-API based applications are no longer
> supported on Vista (only dot Net).

I did a test driver with vista rc2 with gnat and our own software.
Looks like vista is highly compatible with XP.
I was able to build all our software using gnat on vista.
I also was able to use our device drivers build for XP on Vista without
trouble.
There was some trouble however:
* gcc does not seem to be able to find the compiler gnat1.exe.
   I fixed this by adding the containing directory to the path.
* gps did not start properly but was still usable.
* My own software had some problems with the service interface on vista.
For the rest all my software seems to be running fine.
That includes quite some gui code based on gwindows, some web servers based
on aws.
My conclusion is that it should be easy to switch to vista.

Wiljan