From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: gprbuild worked for GNAT GPL 2010, fails for 2011 edition
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-05-10T18:01:30-07:00	[thread overview]

On May 10, 12:26 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> Jerry wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > You clued me in that the .ali's and .dylib need to be in the same
> > library.
>
> They don't have to.  The .dylib must be in the Library_Dir, the
> .ali files must be in the Library_ALI_Dir. By default these two
> directories are the same but you can choose to make them different.

Great! This is what I needed. Many thanks. My problem seems to be
solved. I don't know why the 2010 GPL worked with my (then)
defective .gpr file. The only thing that I can figure out is that
the .ali(s) was (were) referencing the .dylib because I certainly
wasn't doing so in my .gpr. I did get an indication that the file
format for .ali's had changed, so maybe that was it.

> See the Debian Policy for Ada for an example; the .ali files are,
> per policy section 5.3.6, in /usr/lib/ada/adalib/$LIBRARY and the
> shared libraries are in /usr/lib.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html
>
> This document is likely to answer all your other questions, too.

That's a good reference--very informative.

Jerry