* GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-26  2:22 Michael Card
From: Michael Card @ 2002-02-26  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone-

I was wondering if anyone knows if a port of the GNU Visual Debugger
(GVD) is in the works anywhere for Mac OS X? I have used the Solaris
version that comes with GNAT 3.14 and I thought it was pretty good.

Since there is a GNAT beta being developed for Mac OS X, does that mean
GVD will be bundled with it like it is for Solaris? Just hoping I'd
have a nice environment for my favorite language on my favorite OS!

- Mike

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-26 16:37 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-02-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Card <thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com> wrote in message news:<250220022121504533%thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com>...
> I was wondering if anyone knows if a port of the GNU Visual Debugger
> (GVD) is in the works anywhere for Mac OS X? I have used the Solaris
> version that comes with GNAT 3.14 and I thought it was pretty good.
>
> Since there is a GNAT beta being developed for Mac OS X, does that mean

A Gnat port would certianly be a prerequisite. I'd imagine there'd be
more work involved in porting it after that than simply compiling the
existing GVD sources.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-26 21:27   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-02-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) writes:

> Michael Card <thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com> wrote in message news:<250220022121504533%thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com>...
> > I was wondering if anyone knows if a port of the GNU Visual Debugger
> > (GVD) is in the works anywhere for Mac OS X? I have used the Solaris
> > version that comes with GNAT 3.14 and I thought it was pretty good.
> >
> > Since there is a GNAT beta being developed for Mac OS X, does that mean
>
> A Gnat port would certianly be a prerequisite. I'd imagine there'd be
> more work involved in porting it after that than simply compiling the
> existing GVD sources.

Yes. GVD is based on the Gtk GUI, so that also needs to be ported.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-27  2:04     ` Andrew Reynolds
From: Andrew Reynolds @ 2002-02-27  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/26/02 4:27 PM, in article uu1s46ihv.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov, "Stephen Leake"
<stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) writes:
>
>> Michael Card <thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com> wrote in message
>>> I was wondering if anyone knows if a port of the GNU Visual Debugger
>>> (GVD) is in the works anywhere for Mac OS X? I have used the Solaris
>>> version that comes with GNAT 3.14 and I thought it was pretty good.
>>>
>>> Since there is a GNAT beta being developed for Mac OS X, does that mean
>>
>> A Gnat port would certianly be a prerequisite. I'd imagine there'd be
>> more work involved in porting it after that than simply compiling the
>> existing GVD sources.
>
> Yes. GVD is based on the Gtk GUI, so that also needs to be ported.

The following have been ported to Mac OS X:

GNAT-5.0w (FSF source tree, includes tasking using GNU pth)
gdb-5.1 (Mac gdb-208 w/Ada modifications)
GtkAda-1.2.12 (all demos from testgtk working)
gvd-1.2.4 (buggy)

To find GNAT and gdb go to the following link:

http://adapower.net/macos

There is a binary distribution and patches for GNAT and gdb. Patches and a
binary distribution for GtkAda and gvd are being assembled and should be on
the site by Friday.

Drew Reynolds
GNAT OS X Development Team

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-27 12:36     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-27 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:<uu1s46ihv.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov>...

We now have three messages from three separate people speculating as
to what needs to be ported to get GNAT
working on MAC/OSX.

It might be more fruitful to spend a trivial amount of
time doing a search to find out that the various items
mentioned HAVE already been ported!

ACT does not currently support GNAT Professional on Mac OSX and has no
current plans to do so (although that may change in the future,
depending on market demand).

However, there is a very active volunteer effort, thanks to
all those involved, and especially to Jim Hopper who has
put a great deal of technical effort into successive GNAT
ports for the Mac.

For the search engine challenged folks :-), the link for more
information is

http://adapower.net/macos

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-27 13:13       ` Michael Card
From: Michael Card @ 2002-02-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert-

The WHOLE POINT of this thread was that the page you say everyone
should go to SAYS NOTHING about GVD!!  If you do a string search for
GVD on that page, it will say "text string GVD not found"

Don't chide everyone for talking about this on CLA as if they were too
stupid to go to the Adapower page on GNAT for Mac OS X; the info isn't
there, hence the question.

By the way, thanks to all of you who answered on this. If I understand
correctly the first version will be available from the Adapower page by
the end of this week, I believe as part of the first Mac OS X binary
distribution of GNAT.

- Mike

@ 2002-02-27 15:09         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-02-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <270220020813342972%thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com>, Michael Card <thehouseofcards@remove.this.part.mac.com> writes:
> Robert-
>
> The WHOLE POINT of this thread was that the page you say everyone
> should go to SAYS NOTHING about GVD!!  If you do a string search for
> GVD on that page, it will say "text string GVD not found"
>
> Don't chide everyone for talking about this on CLA as if they were too
> stupid to go to the Adapower page on GNAT for Mac OS X; the info isn't
> there, hence the question.

But certainly such questions are best asked on the GNAT for MacOS X
mailing list.

* Re: GVD port planned for Mac OS X?
@ 2002-02-28  5:02         ` jim
From: jim @ 2002-02-28  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another point, there have already been 2 binary releases of gnat for os
x and a third is immenent.  we are doing a number of things that will
show up soon including the ability to build native os x apps (carbon
for right now).  bindings are coming along.

jim