From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What is the best way to convert Integer to Short_Short_Integer?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-06-13T11:07:29-07:00	[thread overview]

On 13 Cze, 06:26, BrianG <briang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean by a risk estimate, a probability for this particular
> type?

The likelihood of getting into trouble by using this type.
(I use the word "likelihood" instead of "probability" as this
obviously cannot be expressed with a single number.)

> I would doubt anyone would have surveyed all Ada compilers just
> to generate that number.

Because there are so many Ada compilers?

> (I don't see how this would be different from
> the same situation in any language.  For example, how many C++ compilers
> don't implement a type named Short_Short_Integer?)

Well, here the situation is a bit easier, as no C++ compiler at all
implements a type named Short_Short_Integer.

However, you might take this page for comparison:

http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport

It presents the compatibility chart for new language features - that
is, it provides the information on which compiler supports which
feature.

As you see, making such a list is possible. I hope that this example
will explain what kind of information I'm looking for.

> > Or is there somewhere a public list of such incompatibilities?
>
> What incompatibilities, incompatible with what?

With Short_Short_Integer, of course.

I will take the opportunity to extend my question: is there a
"compatibility list" for Ada compilers with regard to all language
features that are described as optional? Not just Short_Short_Integer,
but also Long_Long_Integer (just joking :-) ), pragmas, annexes, etc.?

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

YAMI4 - Messaging Solution for Distributed Systems
http://www.inspirel.com/yami4