* Funny about typing (not directly Ada related)
@ 2011-05-24  0:49 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-05-24  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello people out there,

Not the quote of the year, however funny enough to share this here with
you.

http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/facilities/documentation/unix/unix-socket-faq/unix-socket-faq-4.html#ss4.10
says
> 4.10 How do I use the gethostbyaddr() function?
> From Andrew Gierth ( andrewg@microlise.co.uk):
> Many people are confused by the fact that the address parameter to this
> function is declared as char*. That doesn't mean it's a character string
> representation of the address!

Cheese, and have a cool night

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.

* Re: Funny about typing (not directly Ada related)
@ 2011-05-24  1:16 ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2011-05-24  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 23, 5:49 pm, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duch...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hello people out there,
>
> Not the quote of the year, however funny enough to share this here with
> you.
>
> http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/facilities/documentation/unix/unix-socket-...
> says
>
> > 4.10 How do I use the gethostbyaddr() function?
> > From Andrew Gierth ( andr...@microlise.co.uk):
> > Many people are confused by the fact that the address parameter to this
> > function is declared as char*. That doesn't mean it's a character string
> > representation of the address!
>
> Cheese, and have a cool night

That page appears to be from 1996.  A quick "man gethostbyaddr" has
the first parameter declared as "const void *".  I don't know when
that change was made.

                       -- Adam