* Re: Why and how do organizations select th
@ 1993-01-25 17:38 saimiri.primate.wisc.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!milano!c
From: saimiri.primate.wisc.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!milano!c @ 1993-01-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 29355@seas.gwu.edu, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

>    They hired a _really_ big-name consultant (NOT a professor, Mark!)
>    to teach them his OO methodology and take a first crack at a design
>    for them. After collecting a very large fee, he walked away from the
>    project, leaving behind what they say is an unworkable design.
>    Conceivably we (I and another professor friend) will get involved
>    helping them sort it all out. Might be fun.

Pardon me...I suppose I should have entitled ol' Harumptyrump differently...
Such a *professorial* generalization was inappropriate on my part.  ;)

>You're right, Bjarne - I can't name names. I won't tar an individual with
>an ad hominem public attack, especially if I have no independent basis for
>it. I did not observe this consultant in action, nor see his work in this
>case. His client was frustrated but I can't really assess the reason for
>the frustration. And naturally no field has a monopoly on windbags.

Unfortunately, if the referenced OO windbag DID deposit an expensive load
of trash, he dealt legitimate OO experts and practitioners a terrible blow.
It's difficult enough convincing leery implementers to accept a new perfectly
valid method, much less one tainted in this manner by a so called "expert".
Incidents such as these merely bolster the ammo stores of the anti-OO
coalition, and diminish community acceptance of the OO approach to
programming-in-the-large.

---
Mark A. Breland - Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC)
Ada Fault Tolerance                               | voice:    (512) 338-3509
3500 West Balcones Center Drive                   | FAX:      (512) 338-3900
Austin, Texas 78759-6509   USA                    | internet: breland@mcc.com

* Re: Why and how do organizations select th
@ 1993-01-25 19:49 agate!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!usc!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cobweb.mcc.com!bre
From: agate!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!usc!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cobweb.mcc.com!bre @ 1993-01-25 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 24696@alice.att.com, bs@alice.att.com (Bjarne Stroustrup) writes:
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman @ George Washington University) writes
>
>> The point was not to tar OO experts as windbags,
>
>I didn't think you were, though of course SOME are.
>
>> but to comment on the
>> state of things. The customer in this case is thrashing around, has
>> little knowledge of what's happening in the field, and is making purely
>> political/religious statements. My distress came from the fact that
>> the organization didn't seem really interested in finding out more
>> or get really educated.
>
>and that's the real rub. Many organizations and people are so busy
>``getting the job done'' or jumping on some bandwagon that they don't
>want to take the time to learn anything new.

Careful now, the overtaxed people trying to get their job done usually
would give anything to learn something new that will ease their workload.
Unfortunately, they don't have the time due to the overload imposed
by management or other programmatic dilemmas.  However, I'll agree with
you that bandwagon-jumpers do tend to slide into new threads pretty
superficially without considering the conceptual ramifications.

---

@ 1993-01-25 23:54 Bjarne Stroustrup
From: Bjarne Stroustrup @ 1993-01-25 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

breland@cobweb.mcc.com (Mark A. Breland @ MCC) writes

 > Careful now, the overtaxed people trying to get their job done usually
 > would give anything to learn something new that will ease their workload.

I know. I know very well. However, many organizations seem significantly
less able to adapt to circumstanses and to make rational decisions than the
individuals out of which such organization are composed.

* Re: Why and how do organizations select th
@ 1993-01-26 14:07 breland
From: breland @ 1993-01-26 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 24708@alice.att.com, bs@alice.att.com (Bjarne Stroustrup) writes:

>breland@cobweb.mcc.com (Mark A. Breland @ MCC) writes
>>
>> Careful now, the overtaxed people trying to get their job done usually
>> would give anything to learn something new that will ease their workload.
>
>I know. I know very well. However, many organizations seem significantly
>less able to adapt to circumstanses and to make rational decisions than the
>individuals out of which such organization are composed.

A most diplomatic indictment, of which I am in total agreement.

---