From: munck@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA.UUCP
Subject: Re:  Software Reuse
Date: Thu, 18-Jun-87 12:55:43 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Thu Jun 18 12:55:43 1987

I don't know if I've ever seem a more straightforward explanation of the
DoD's Software Crises than this:

> As a "Government" manager of major software developments, ... There
> is no way, short of pushing my nose in it, that I will believe a
> paper analysis showing me how much _I_ will save tomorrow if only I
> give you more today.

Remember that the _I_ (underlining mine) is really "the poor slob who'll
be maintaining this system years after I get a job in Industry."
Remember too, that EVERYBODY'S project is too important (major) to take
the risk of being the first to use any new technique.

Of course, with FORTRAN, JOVIAL, CMS-2, and/or the Chinese Army approach
to programming, there's no risk.  We KNOW that it will be late, over
budget, and buggy.  No surprises, no risks.

                      -- Bob Munck, MITRE