From: pa.dec.com!nntpd.lkg.dec.com!tle.enet.dec.com!brett@decwrl.dec.com  (bevi n brett)
Subject: Re: Theft of valid program namespace!
Date: 12 Jul 91 19:09:56 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Jul12.172704.10258@phillip.edu.au>, x01233@phillip.edu.au write
s...

>Under Vax ada I am not allowed to create an executable from a  procedure
>named TT as it clashes with something Dec have allocated.
>
>What is the LRM's attitude to this? Are companies allowed to 'steal' parts of
>an Ada namespace when there is a clash?
>
>Dale.

Dale, you are clearly a novice VMS user.  This has *nothing* to do with VAX
Ada, and everything to do with VAX/VMS.

TT is a logical name defined by the system, to be [for historical RSX
compatibility], the terminal you are logged in on.

$ ACS LINK TT creates SYS$DISK:[]TT.EXE, and does so without any problems.

$ RUN TT tries to run the terminal, giving
%E, error opening TT:[BRETT.EG]*.*;* as input
%F, device is not file structured

It is clear from this error message that you tried to run TT:, rather than
SYS$DISK:[[]TT.EXE

$ RUN TT.EXE
will have the effect that you want.

VMS, unlike most other operating systems, has very detailed and explicit error
messages.  It is a shame that we have never managed to persuade people to read
them.

/Bevin

DIGITAL Ada project