* Re: Free Optimizing Ada Compiler
@ 1991-05-09 21:36 hlavaty
From: hlavaty @ 1991-05-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991May9.175544.11853@beaver.cs.washington.edu>, pattis@june.cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) writes...
>In article <9105091625.AA11977@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> koehnema@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Harry Koehnemann) writes:
>
>In fact, I will even go to the extreme here and say that it is often BETTER in
>beginning classes to not have instantaneous compilation. When compilation is
>TOO FAST, it can seduce students into repeatedly reusing the compiler in place
>of actually thinking about what they are doing. I often see reasonably written
>programs turned into garbage by students incrementally changing them without
>thinking about what they are doing. I am not saying all beginning students
>succumb to this temptation, but it is my experience that many do.
>
>Rich Pattis

I found this comment very interesting.  This observation tends to support a
software management technique advocated by Tom DeMarco and Tim Lister of the
Atlantic Systems Guild.  Their approach during a development is to *take
away* compiler rights from the developer, thereby forcing a programmer to think
through their code approach.  When they think they are done, they give the code
to someone else who compiles it and returns it if it fails.  I believe this idea
originated as a response to fault metrics compiled by T.C. Jones (Capers Jones?)
showing that the more errors you find, the more errors their are.  By removing
compiler rights, the programmer is incentivized to reduce the number of errors
right from the start.
While this topic is really turning into software engineering, the fact that you
have experience confirming this (even if they are students - habits are habits)
was interesting.  Most managers find the idea of removing compiler rights as
something akin to insanity.
Anyway, the point made by Mr Pattis with regards to reducing overall compiler
usage is a good one, for it appears the Mr Pattis is not the only person to
have picked up on this phenemenon of "compiler abusage".

Jim Hlavaty
hlavaty@crvax.sri.com

* Free Optimizing Ada Compiler
@ 1991-05-08 15:51 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1991-05-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

	One of the best optimizing C and C++ compilers is provided at no
charge by the Free Software Foundation (Cambridge, MA). Their compiler is as
good as most workstation vendors' compilers, targets many platforms, is
available at no cost, and is provided with the source code. Their compiler
is so good that many companies producing software products for the Unix
and workstation environments use the FSF compiler.
	This rather good, free compiler is the result of a basically
volunteer effort of people interested in promoting software in a very
sharing manner. They are also providing source code to an entire operating
system Unix-clone, the Emacs editors, Unix shell tools, a spreadsheet and
other software tools.
	(The rest of this message doesn't deal with the issue that all of
this programming is being done in C and C++).

	It seems to me that if the Ada community was really interested in
spreading Ada as much as possible, that someone (i.e. DOD) could shake loose
about a half million dollars, and give it to the Free Software Foundation
people to develop an Ada front end for their compiler technology. Actually
I think that the FSF people have someone looking into to this. In this way
the world would end up with a nice Ada compiler provided in source code
form at no charge.
	Such a compiler could be given to universities to encourage them
to teach Ada (many are already using the FSF C and C++ compilers), without
draining their limited budgets. Also it would encourage other members of
the FSF community to develop Ada tools that work with the compiler.
	Thus is people really want an excellent, shareware Ada compiler,
form a committee to lobby the DoD to fund the FSF. The capability is there,
the money is certainly there. All that is needed is the commitment.

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization