* GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-18 22:21 Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-07-18 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using Ada since about 15 years (on Mainframes, OS/2 and Windows).
I've used it for commandline tools and GUIs. Now I learn how to work
with databases (especially MySql, but Oracle, too). The course
concentrates on Java and JDBC, but I would like to do some tests with
Ada, too.

I've heard that there are Ada95 bindings available. Can someone provide
me with the following information: Where can I get an actual version of
those bindings? How good are they? Are they "complete"? Where can I find
some simple code-examples? Are there any tutorials regarding
DB-programming with Ada?

Thanks.

To send me mail, please replace "Spam" by "Jedermann"

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-18 23:56 ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2003-07-18 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> writes:
> I'm using Ada since about 15 years (on Mainframes, OS/2 and Windows).
> I've used it for commandline tools and GUIs. Now I learn how to work
> with databases (especially MySql, but Oracle, too). The course
> concentrates on Java and JDBC, but I would like to do some tests with
> Ada, too.
>
> I've heard that there are Ada95 bindings available. Can someone provide
> me with the following information: Where can I get an actual version of
> those bindings? How good are they? Are they "complete"? Where can I find
> some simple code-examples? Are there any tutorials regarding
> DB-programming with Ada?

Why would you use Ada with MySQL?  That's kind of analagous to
building a tank (Ada being good for military applications :-)), and
then trying to power it by souping up a Ford Pinto.  It's fine, unless
you get rear-ended, in which case the tank blows up.

If you want bindings to a free database that's a little more robust,
consider PostgreSQL.

<http://home.swipnet.se/lundin/ada_95_tools.html>
<http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/pgada.html>
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-19  1:34   ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2003-07-19  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check out gnade which has mysql and ODBC bindings as part of it.

http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-19  9:54   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-19  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

And binding is found here => http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/IntroducingAda.php

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-19  9:57 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2003-07-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> writes:

> I've heard that there are Ada95 bindings available. Can someone provide
> me with the following information:

I can't answer all questions, but...

The best datadase binding is GNADE. http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

> How good are they?

Very good, I have used GNADE to access MySQL via ODBC in many projects. It is
working just fine.

> Are they "complete"?

Pretty complete. ODBC binding and direct binding to Oracle (using OCI), MySQL,
Postgres... plus support for embedded SQL (a la PRO*Ada).

> Where can I find some simple code-examples?
> Are there any tutorials regarding DB-programming with Ada?

Pascal.

--|

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-21  9:24   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-07-21  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Jul 2003 11:57:18 +0200, Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> writes:
>
>Very good, I have used GNADE to access MySQL via ODBC in many projects. It is
>working just fine.

Yes.

I also used GNADE's ODBC. It worked fine. [Unfortunately it had only
"thin" bindings. So I had to wrap them into tagged types
ODBC_Environment, ODBC_Connection etc.]

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-21  9:41     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-07-21  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A Kazakov wrote:
> I also used GNADE's ODBC. It worked fine. [Unfortunately it had only
> "thin" bindings. So I had to wrap them into tagged types
> ODBC_Environment, ODBC_Connection etc.]

If you did improvements, please consider submitting these to the authors
of Gnade so they can include them if they fit.

There are several bindings to different databases, but I think we are
best served with a good general Gnade library than a lot of loose ends.
Of course I can see that in some special cases it would be nice with
bindings to a spesific database at it may utilise special features of
this database, in this case (and possibly other) speical bindings are
OK, but I would rather see Gnade as the library of choice.

Preben
--

@ 2003-07-21 11:08       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2003-07-21 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:41:16 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
<randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

>Dmitry A Kazakov wrote:
>> I also used GNADE's ODBC. It worked fine. [Unfortunately it had only
>> "thin" bindings. So I had to wrap them into tagged types
>> ODBC_Environment, ODBC_Connection etc.]
>
>If you did improvements, please consider submitting these to the authors
>of Gnade so they can include them if they fit.

Well, they should first decide if they want to have thick bindings for
ODBC. Probably, they do not. I would not at their place, because this
could be solved in the framework of Ada DB bindings with ODBC as a
"transport" layer among many others. Which would be much preferable
than to have separate "thick" bindings for whatsoever interface.
Especially because then you can have a more efficent way [than ODBC]
to communicate with a given DB, without sacrifying the genericity of
your application.

>There are several bindings to different databases, but I think we are
>best served with a good general Gnade library than a lot of loose ends.
>Of course I can see that in some special cases it would be nice with
>bindings to a spesific database at it may utilise special features of
>this database, in this case (and possibly other) speical bindings are
>OK, but I would rather see Gnade as the library of choice.

Yes. Even if GNADE were bad (but it is AFAIK good), we should still
stick to it. (:-))

---
Regards,
Dmitry Kazakov
www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-24 19:30     ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-07-24 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jim,

I've looked for a download for Windows, but I couldn't find it. I've
found some Linux-binaries and GNADE-sources. But - where are the mysql
and ODBC bindings? Are they part of the GNADE sources? I've searched for
separate binding downloads, was this wrong?

@ 2003-07-24 23:43       ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2003-07-24 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi

yes they are part of the sources.  you can check the archives to the
mailing list on the site i suspect using them with windows has come up
before ;-)   try downloading them and building them.

sorry i cant be more help as i use mac os x.  i was able to build them
for os x.

jim

@ 2003-07-28 17:26       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-07-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher <Spam@alfred-hilscher.de> writes:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I've looked for a download for Windows, but I couldn't find it.

GNADE is distributed in source form. Since you need to use a compiler
to use GNADE, that seems the simplest thing to do (I'm the Windows
maintainer for GNADE).

> I've found some Linux-binaries and GNADE-sources. But - where are
> the mysql and ODBC bindings? Are they part of the GNADE sources?

There is a binding to ODBC and mysql. I don't have GNADE installed
here at work, so I'm forwarding this to my home email
(stephen_leake@acm.org), and will reply from there with more detail.

> I've searched for separate binding downloads, was this wrong?

You do need mysql and/or an ODBC driver; those are separate.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNAT and MySql - looking for information
@ 2003-07-31 18:02         ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2003-07-31 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks, I will try it next time.