* David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2013-07-22 16:49 Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2013-07-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Old-timers to this forum will remember David C. Hoos, Sr. as an active and knowledgeable participant, a real force within the Ada user community.

David was killed in an auto accident Saturday night, his vehicle colliding with a car driven by an unlicensed minor. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/07/77-year-old_man_killed_in_car.html

I had the pleasure of having lunch with him about a dozen years ago, and exchanged an occasional email. On one project I worked on in the subsequent years I found his name all through the code, he had been one of the principal designers of the very large wargaming system that I was porting to a new platform.

While he'd been retired for several years now and pretty much dropped out of active involvement with the Ada community, his participation in it for many years strengthened it and helped teach developers how to get more out of the language.

RIP, David

Marc A. Criley
New Market, AL

* Re: David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2013-07-22 18:15 ` Anh Vo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anh Vo @ 2013-07-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 22, 2013 9:49:33 AM UTC-7, Marc C wrote:
> Old-timers to this forum will remember David C. Hoos, Sr. as an active and knowledgeable participant, a real force within the Ada user community.
>
> David was killed in an auto accident Saturday night, his vehicle colliding with a car driven by an unlicensed minor. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/07/77-year-old_man_killed_in_car.html
>
> I had the pleasure of having lunch with him about a dozen years ago, and exchanged an occasional email. On one project I worked on in the subsequent years I found his name all through the code, he had been one of the principal designers of the very large wargaming system that I was porting to a new platform.
>
> While he'd been retired for several years now and pretty much dropped out of active involvement with the Ada community, his participation in it for many years strengthened it and helped teach developers how to get more out of the language.

My sincere codolences to his family and friends.

A. Vo

* Re: David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2013-07-22 22:27 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2013-07-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 22, 2013 10:49:33 AM UTC-6, Marc C wrote:
> Old-timers to this forum will remember David C. Hoos, Sr. as an active and knowledgeable participant, a real force within the Ada user community.
>

> David was killed in an auto accident Saturday night, his vehicle colliding with a car driven by an unlicensed minor. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/07/77-year-old_man_killed_in_car.html
>

> I had the pleasure of having lunch with him about a dozen years ago, and exchanged an occasional email. On one project I worked on in the subsequent years I found his name all through the code, he had been one of the principal designers of the very large wargaming system that I was porting to a new platform.
>

> While he'd been retired for several years now and pretty much dropped out of active involvement with the Ada community, his participation in it for many years strengthened it and helped teach developers how to get more out of the language.
>

> RIP, David
>

> Marc A. Criley
>
> New Market, AL

That wargaming software wouldn't happen to be Janus, would it?

* Re: David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2013-07-23 11:49 ` Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2013-07-23 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a local news report on the accident, with video.

http://www.waff.com/story/22901802/man-killed-in-wreck-with-unlicensed-minor

Marc

* Re: David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2013-07-23 11:50   ` Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2013-07-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 22, 2013 5:27:43 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:

> That wargaming software wouldn't happen to be Janus, would it?

No.

* David C. Hoos, RIP
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-07-24  3:24 ` lara.kristen.hines
From: lara.kristen.hines @ 2013-07-24  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc,
The family of David Hoos would like to sincerely thank you for your kind words about their father.

Kristy Hines

* David C. Hoos, RIP
@ 2014-08-31  2:07   ` 5wondermom
From: 5wondermom @ 2014-08-31  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just came across this when googling my dad...
Thank you for remembering him.
I am his eldest daughter, Ruth.