* [Announcement] New Project: GLADE for GNAT
@ 2004-04-03 11:13 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-04-03 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I like to announce the beginning of a new Project.

The projekt whiches to providing an up to date implementations of Annex E
(Distributed Systems) for GNAT.

The Project is located at sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnat-glade/

Current experinental versions are available via cvs.

Since GLADE is a lot more difficult then ASIS help would be apreciated.

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: [Announcement] New Project: GLADE for GNAT
@ 2004-04-15 22:14 ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2004-04-15 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:13:14 +0200, Martin Krischik wrote:
> I like to announce the beginning of a new Project.
>
> The projekt whiches to providing an up to date implementations of Annex E
> (Distributed Systems) for GNAT.

How does this relate to the ACT GLADE releases?

If ACT are working with their own sources, fixing bugs for paying
customers, providing them with wavefront releases, won't
the "Sourceforge GLADE" always be out of date?  Every time a new
release is made by the original authors, you will have to integrate
their changes.  And will it be possible to take the project in
a new direction without the sources diverging, giving a permanent split?

I am a constant user of GLADE, but have encountered a major bug.
Under certain (common) circumstances, failure of one partition can cause
the whole program to lock-up - even when the appropriate options
are specified in the build.  I have not been able to get hold of a
wavefront release where this is (said to be) fixed.
(all this on versions 3.15p, Intel Linux).  Does anyone know
how I can get hold of a more recent GLADE for 3.15p?

Good luck with the project though! I'd love to see more people
using the technology, which beats the alternatives by a long
way (in terms of ease of use and flexibility).
--
Adrian Wrigley, Cambridge, UK.

* Re: [Announcement] New Project: GLADE for GNAT
@ 2004-04-16  6:36   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-04-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:13:14 +0200, Martin Krischik wrote:
>> I like to announce the beginning of a new Project.
>>
>> The projekt whiches to providing an up to date implementations of Annex E
>> (Distributed Systems) for GNAT.
>
> How does this relate to the ACT GLADE releases?
>
> If ACT are working with their own sources, fixing bugs for paying
> customers, providing them with wavefront releases, won't
> the "Sourceforge GLADE" always be out of date?  Every time a new
> release is made by the original authors, you will have to integrate
> their changes.  And will it be possible to take the project in
> a new direction without the sources diverging, giving a permanent split?

Well, the paying customers are allways up front. What nags me is that ACT
has nor released a "p" for 2 years. So the 3.15p compiler becomes out of
date. Only today gcc 3.4 On the gnat list (gnatlist@lyris.seas.gwu.edu) was
suggested for use with G5 PPC.

> I am a constant user of GLADE, but have encountered a major bug.
> Under certain (common) circumstances, failure of one partition can cause
> the whole program to lock-up - even when the appropriate options
> are specified in the build.  I have not been able to get hold of a
> wavefront release where this is (said to be) fixed.
> (all this on versions 3.15p, Intel Linux).  Does anyone know
> how I can get hold of a more recent GLADE for 3.15p?

There are no more recent releases for 3.15p. All more recent releases are
for paying customers and  GNAT 5.x.

The bad news is: There might never be since act plans a new Annex E based on
PolyORB.

While the sources are GPL there are only distributed to paying customers.
The GPL says that you must provide the sources to anyone you provide
binaries to.

Without a public binary release act does not need to provide a public source
release. :-(.

> Good luck with the project though! I'd love to see more people
> using the technology, which beats the alternatives by a long
> way (in terms of ease of use and flexibility).

The current cvs version compiles and links. However there seems to be a
chance in compiler options so some .o files are not generated. So more work
is needed.

With Regards

Martin.