* Navy statement on the mandate
@ 1993-07-28 19:42 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-07-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From seas.gwu.edu!uunet!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!rela
y.nswc.navy.mil!oasys!depriest Mon Jul  8 13:07:37 EDT 1991
Article 3810 of comp.lang.ada:
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: Navy's Ada Policy
Date: 8 Jul 91 02:14:35 GMT

(Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I tried to include
enough of the document to establish its context.)

Interim Department of the Navy Policy on Ada

Extracts from the June 24, 1991 distribution memorandum from the
office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Research,
Development, and Acquisition):

---------------------

5. Scope. This instruction covers all computer software except:

     a. Software which has been operationally fielded and for
which maintenance activity is restricted to error correction.

     b. Systems that have entered production and deployment or
have passed Milestone II of [SECNAVINST 5200.32] or [SECNAVINST
5231.1], but have not been operationally fielded as of 1 June
1991.

     c. Systems for which a documented language commitment was
made in compliance with previous policy.

     d. Non-deliverable software as defined in [FIPS PUB 11-2].

     e. Software developed for dedicated processors that have 16-
bit or less instruction set architectures and less than 256K
total memory.

     f. Software for use in projects at a single site and cost
less than $50K in development and $5K/yr in maintenance.

     g. Software written by personal computer/workstation users
for personal or intra-office use, for which DON maintenance
activity support will not be provided.

6. Policy. It is DON policy to:

     a. Use the Ada programming language...as the single computer
programming language for all computer resources. A validated Ada
compiler and modern software engineering principles that
facilitate the use of Ada must be used, unless a waiver or
exception has been approved.

     b. Meet DON software requirements by reusing existing Ada
code whenever possible.

     c. Grant waivers to the policies in this instruction on a
specific system and subsystem basis only. Further to base the
waiver decision on an analysis of total life-cycle costs, impact,
and potential for reuse in other DON and/or DOD acquisitions.

     d. Identify needed technologies that have the potential to
facilitate the use of Ada in future systems acquisitions and to
aggressively acquire those technologies.

     e. Whenever technically feasible and cost effective, acquire
computers for which validated Ada compilers have been developed
and to include language to this effect in contractual matters
pertaining to all system acquisitions.

     f. Use an Ada-based program design language that can be
successfully compiled by an Ada compiler, during the design of
software, to improve the portability of the software design.

     g. Use modern software engineering principles and Ada-based
ASTs which facilitate the use of Ada in order to reduce costs,
shorten schedules, and improve software quality.

[Note - ASTs  (Advanced Software Technologies) were defined
earlier in the document as software tools, life-cycle support
environments, non-procedural languages (4GLs), modern database
management systems, and other technologies providing improvements
in productivity, useability, maintainability, and portability -
specifically those that support Ada software development through
Ada code generation or providing Ada bindings or interfaces]

7. Exception Categories.  For the categories listed below, an
exception request that documents a project's use of the cited
approach is required. Exception requests will be approved by the
appropriate authority and retained for a minimum of 5 years for
use during milestone reviews/audits or pending waiver requests.

     a. COTS software and vendor update implementations may be
used with an exemption request. The COTS may neither be modified
in function nor maintained by the government. (The policy
regarding the use of COTS software packages <e.g. DBMSs,
graphics> to generate application programs that are not in Ada is
addressed in Advanced Software Technology.)

[Note - COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) is defined earlier in the
document as software (including operating systems, utilities, and
stand-alone applications programs) already developed, tested, and
sold to other DOD or commercial customers, supported by a
commercial vendor over the system life cycle, and requiring no
government modifications over the system life cycle.]

     b. Software which has already been operationally fielded may
be reused with an exceptionrequest subject to the following
conditions: (1) The existing source code is written in a standard
HOL; (2) The source code modified is less than 1/3 of compilable
source code. (Modified code is the sum of code changes and
additional code.) The 1/3 change will be assessed against the
smallest unit of delivery <2167 - CI, 7935 - Subsystem
Specification>; and (3) use of assembly language is identified
and limited to functions required to allow the standard HOL
software to run on the targeted hardware.

[Note - the 'standard' HOLs are defined as those listed in DODD
3405.1, namely Ada, C/ATLAS, COBOL, CMS-2, FORTRAN, JOVIAL,
Minimal BASIC, Pascal, and SPL/1.]

     c. Use of SQL (FIPS 127-1) with DBMSs for binding to Ada
host applications is an Ada policy compliant approach with an
exception request.

     d. Use of non-Ada for special-purpose application processors
(signal processors, array processors, FFT processors, etc.),
provided that Ada is used for the command processor or general-
purpose processor that directs the application, is allowed
subject to an exception request.

     e. Non-Ada code may be used for a rapid prototyping project
with an exception request. The project must be converted to Ada
prior to operational implementation.

---------------------

-- Mike DePriest * Ada: It's the law.  *   package OPINIONS is
-- Naval Aviation Depot Jacksonville   *     disclaimer : DISCLAIMER_TYPE;
-- (904) 772-4895 (DSN) 942-4895       *     procedure disavow_culpability;
-- depriest@oasys.dt.navy.mil          *   end OPINIONS;

* Re: Navy statement on the mandate
@ 1993-07-28 22:18 cis.ohio-state.edu!udecc.engr.udayton.edu!blackbird.afit.af.mil!news.usaf
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!udecc.engr.udayton.edu!blackbird.afit.af.mil!news.usaf @ 1993-07-28 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jul28.194231.17196@seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michae
l Feldman) writes:
|> From seas.gwu.edu!uunet!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!re
lay.nswc.navy.mil!oasys!depriest Mon Jul  8 13:07:37 EDT 1991
|> Article 3810 of comp.lang.ada:
|> >From: depriest@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Mike DePriest)
|> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
|> Subject: Navy's Ada Policy
|> Date: 8 Jul 91 02:14:35 GMT
|>
|> (Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I tried to include
|> enough of the document to establish its context.)
|>
|> Interim Department of the Navy Policy on Ada
|>
|> Extracts from the June 24, 1991 distribution memorandum from the
|> office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Research,
|> Development, and Acquisition):
|>
|> ---------------------
|> 5. Scope. This instruction covers all computer software except:
|>
|>      d. Non-deliverable software as defined in [FIPS PUB 11-2].

-----------^
DING, DING, DING.  The winner is...  This lets the ONR stuff that
started this latest thread off the hook.  There are other exceptions
in both the AF and Navy policies that could apply to research efforts
(personal, in-house and system life < 3 years, etc.)  This certainly
covers nearly any grant from the Navy.

Anyone have policy from ARPA?

--
Christopher A. Warack, Capt, USAF
Computer Science Department, US Air Force Academy

cwarack@kirk.usafa.af.mil                (719) 472-2401