From: rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE)
Subject: Re: You get what you pay for (not true in software)
Date: 20 Jun 91 13:50:29 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <"13-Jun-91.14:53:27.EDT".*.Martin_A._Leisner.Henr801C@Xerox.com>, leisner.henr801c@XEROX.COM writes:

> The DoD probably made a mistake for providing a framework for a vendor system
> rather than taking responsibility for a standard ADA compiler itself amd
> distributing it cheaply.

I agree that expensive software is often crap and free software and
shareware is often great stuff.
But I certainly take issue with the above statement.

The Army's decision to drop support of ALS (in 1986 or so) and encourage
an open Ada market was no mistake - it was brilliant.  It was a key
element leading to the success of Ada (of course Ada is successful).
ALS was to have been the Army's standard Ada compiler.  But in 1985, it
was only compiling about 20 statements per minute.  Development was
lagging far behind schedule.  Then DEC released VAX-Ada, which ran ten
times as fast, was the most robust Ada compiler seen to that date, and
produced code that was comparable (in most cases) to its FORTRAN compiler.
Suddenly, the light dawned: the computer and compiler industries could
easily beat government-sponsored compilers just by responding to market
demand and leveraging (reusing) their existing product base.
The brilliant part was not in recognizing the benefits of a competitive
market (that had become apparent to everyone), but in having the courage
to change policy - a rare virtue for governments and their agencies.
In August 1985, there ware 22 validated Ada compilers; in November 1990,
there were 318.  This growth is undoubtedly due to the open, competitive
Ada market.

It was the right decision for its time.  Perhaps now the situation has
changed a little.  Compilers are plentiful, but they're too expensive for
many universities.  Maybe now is the right time to revisit the concept of
a DoD-sponsored cheap compiler.  Sponsor a competitive procurement for
inexpensive Ada compilers to host on easily available college computers:
PCs & Macs.  Buy one super-site license and distribute them to any
college with an Ada course.  Just wishful thinking.

	Rick Carle