From: "Rego, P." <pvrego@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Chicken or the egg. New targets & runtimes
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-05-15T12:44:13-07:00	[thread overview]

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=AVR-Ada

Patrick,

On AVRs you have also the GNAT-AVR Windows cross-compiler (you can generate the target .hex on a Windows machine), you can download the GPL version from Adacore Libre http://libre.adacore.com/download/configurations?config=avr-elf-windows&version=2011. The only limitation I see on it is that they only provide a ZFP (Zero Footprint Profile), not a complete RTS. So you cannot use tasking and exceptions (and several other Ada features). But with AVR-Ada you also cannot use it, so currently you do not have tasking support for AVRs, instead of using RTOSes approach. The tutorial http://student.agh.edu.pl/~mkucia/wiki/doku.php?id=avrada helps in using the GNAT-AVR, and you can use it under GPS, fortunately.

I also could not find much things respect to AVR RTS, but Brian Drummond told me that people from AVR-Ada project got some success in developing it over the non-yet-release AVR-Ada package. But these info are spread over the list http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.avr.ada, and I did not have
time to study it. As he says, that's lot of reading (and now I agree). But it's  in my thread, so I intend to make it (hope) soon, if someone doesn't do it before :-)

Some time ago I had also looked for open-source RTOSes with Ada support, and I found:
- for AVRs, just RTEMS
- MaRTE OS, http://marte.unican.es/documentation.htm, but for other chips

and someone once suggested that making an Ada porting to FreeRTOS (which is written in C) would be easy, did not check it.