From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Advice on best environment for Ada on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:53:46 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2020-02-13T16:53:46-08:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:13:16 AM UTC-5, Rick Newbie wrote:
> I'm new to Ada and slowly getting into my first small programs. The
> question that arises soon after the first steps is that of the best
> working environment, so I wanted to hear what the regular Ada users work
> with.
>
> <SNIPPED>
>
> So what does everyone else use? What is the best solution here?
>
> Thanks

I use either GPS or VS Code.  Up until the 2019 Community version,
GPS has been really buggy on Windows 10 (especially 2017 and 2018
versions).  It's definitely not the installation as I can take the
same file on multiple different Windows 10 machines and install it
exactly the same way and at the exact same location and it will
work pretty well on one machine but have random issues on other
machines.  Reinstallation doesn't change it.  Redownloading the
file and reinstalling with that doesn't either.  That said, so far
2019 has been very stable for me on all machines, so I am hoping
that continues.  I could never get 2017 or 2018 to install correctly
on my Ubuntu machine (though I haven't gone back to try 2019 on
Ubuntu yet).  My guess is that it has some undocumented / unknown
dependencies that don't affect most people.

GPS has good autocomplete/intellisense functionality that it
provides and I like the auto formatting functionality (including
being able to highlight a lot of Ada code and hit tab to reformat
the code after a long string of programming changes).

For vscode, I would recommend the syntax highlighting extension
by Entomy:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/publishers/Entomy

It has pretty good functionality and the author has been pretty
responsive.  Lucretia also has a good one, but you can't get it
from the marketplace, so use the link they provided earlier.
Adacore is working on an extension as well (which is available
on the marketplace), but it is still pretty young so they are
working out some kinks.  They are integrating the extension with
the language server protocol (LSP) which can be used to provide
a better autocomplete/intellisense functionality.