From: iris.mbvlab.wpafb.af.mil!blackbird.afit.af.mil!news.usafa.af.mil!kirk!cwa rack@uunet.uu.net  (Chris Warack <iris.mbvlab.wpafb.af.mil!blackbird.afit.af.mi
Subject: Re: Office Naval Research seemingly not interested in Ada
Date: 27 Jul 93 15:02:53 GMT	[thread overview]

I have the proceedings from another ONR workshop, the Third Annual Workshop
Foundations of Real-Time Computing...  While I cannot say that Ada was not
mentioned (it was mentioned on at least one page of the proceedings), it
certainly wasn't prominent.  So what???

Look at it from this perspective:  Here is some "stats" gleaned from the
proceedings...
    Languages prominently discussed:  FLEX
    Machines prominently discussed:   HARTS, SMART caches
    Operating Systems prominently discussed:  HARTS/OS, Spring

Are any of these used outside of the research community?

    Languages mentioned on at least one page:  Ada, C, ...

The vast majority of the proceedings discussed algorithms, theories,
methods and techniques applicable regardless of language or system.  Most
of these discussions don't bother to mention something as unimportant as
which language was used in implementations.

Bottom line:  ONR/ARPA/DoD labs engage in research -- personal preference
is as good a criteria as any for language selection in many research
projects.  Who cares?  The result of the research independent of these
"details" is the important part.

I would be extremely unhappy to hear that the F-22 was coded primarily
in C.  I could care less what some researcher at MIT used on an
ONR project.

Opinions my own.
--
Christopher A. Warack, Capt, USAF
Computer Science Department, US Air Force Academy

cwarack@kirk.usafa.af.mil                (719) 472-2401