From: Micronian Coder <micronian2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Adaforge?
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-05-01T18:07:49-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Patrick,

I like the points you have made and have felt the same about some them for a quite a while. A few I would like to comment on are :

[1] A private company seems to be the center of the Ada and profit has to be their goal

   I really like AdaCore and if it wasn't for GNAT, I would never have gotten in to Ada. One of the arguments of Ada has been that it is very portable. I've raised some concern in the past with colleagues about long term projects being implemented in Java or C# because each of those are basically controlled by one company and keep changing too frequently (remember all those "deprecated" Java warnings). However, if it is perceived that AdaCore = Ada, then it would be less effective as an argument. In reality, there are still other compilers. However, it is a shame that most, namely Aonix (now Atego), DDC-I, Green Hills, Janus/Ada, are still stuck at Ada95 (note: it still is a very good language of course), so it can be perceive by others that Ada will be a dead end. Fortunately, Irvine Compiler Corp can now be included in the list of compilers that fully supports Ada2005. I hope they have success with their Ada2005 offering.

[2] highlighted a not-for-profit effort

This is good too. The AdaIC website has a more modern look, but content wise it basically looks like a PR page for AdaCore since almost all the news is related to that company.

An AdaForge page has to be more than that and it can be by focusing on what the community is doing. News about project from companies can still be included, but it shouldn't be the main content like AdaIC.

[3] Highlighted projects that were not mission critical/military
    Highlighted Ada's usefulness on multicore machines

   Definitely. Although Ada is great for the safety critical embedded area, it has to appear it is beyond that to gather a larger base. When I keep reading how Ada is mostly used for military and safety critical systems, I can't help but think that must put off a lot of people who may think Ada is not appropriate elsewhere are "boring".