From: erickson@atlas.cs.nps.navy.mil (David Erickson)
Subject: Re: Ada books for undergraduate computer science
Date: 4 Jun 91 16:51:34 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3244@sparko.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu () writes:

>I took another look at Lomuto. I like the book a lot, but I don't think
>the typical freshman could handle the assumptions Lomuto makes about their
>sophistication in algorithm development and about their programming
>background - he uses linked lists fairly liberally, for example - this
>is squarely a CS2 topic in most schools.

A lot depends on the level of students taking CS1, but linked lists are
introduced in every CS1 course and text I am familiar with.  Lomuto
also emphasizes recursion, which is normally introduced in CS1.  At some
point, we expect our students to internalize these techniques, and add
them to their repertoire of problem-solving methods.  Whether that
happens in CS1 or 2 depends on the students and the instructor.  At
any rate, I think that Lomuto's text is a good supplementary text, and
may help catalyze that process.

>A CS1 course typically assumes that the student has scarcely seen a computer
>before. NPS has the luxury of assuming a four-year UG education in its
>students. Even if they are new to computing, they have the maturity rarely
>seen (Alas!) in today's first-year college kids. An undergrad book (maybe as
>part of an algorithms course), yes. A CS1 book, I don't think so. Check the
>1984 ACM recommended outline for CS1 (by Koffman, Miller, et al).

>Mike Feldman

-Dave Erickson