From: Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com
Subject: Re: writing operating systems in ADA
Date: 22 Oct 89 22:57:08 GMT	[thread overview]

I think the poster is refering to the Intel 432.  I don't remember the
operating system being written in Ada but the 432 did support object
in the hardware.  Each processor was considered an object and had
a stored object description.  See Elliot I. Organick' book "A
Programmer's View of the Intel 432 System" (McGraw-Hill Book Company,
1983, ISBN 0-07-047719-1).

The major problems with the 432 were marketing and technical.  The
marketing problem was that the 432 did not look like an 8080 (1/2 :-).
The technical problem was that the 432 was a bus hog.  When it went
to request data from memory, it sent a processor number, an address
and a length.  The return packet was the processor number, address,
length and data.  Too expensive for Multibus I to handle.

				Jerome Vollborn
				(Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com or
				 uunet!lci386!jerome)