From: erickson@atlas.cs.nps.navy.mil (David Erickson)
Subject: Re: Ada books for undergraduate computer science
Date: 31 May 91 16:11:51 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3241@sparko.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>A Sampling of Ada-Oriented Books for Undergraduate Computer Science
>May 1991
>
>Michael B. Feldman
>Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
>The George Washington University
>Washington, DC 20052
>
>202-994-5253
>mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu
>
>This is not an exhaustive list, merely a selected list of books I believe
>can be successfully used in undergraduate computer science courses. The first
>six books use Ada as their language of discourse but are "subject-oriented":
>introductory programming, data structures, file structures, compilers. The
>others are "Ada books", focusing on the language per se and organized around
>Ada's structures, not curricular material.

I've taken the liberty of adding a few titles to the 2nd list which I
have found useful (Bray&Pokrass, and the two Gehani texts).  I think the
Lomuto text belongs in the first group - it emphasizes problem solving
(based on Polya's How to Solve It), and would be a good addition to CS1
courses.

Ben-Ari, M. Principles of Parallel and Distributed Programming. (2nd edition)
	Prentice-Hall 1990. (OS/concurrency)
Feldman, M.B. Data Structures with Ada.
	Prentice Hall, 1985. (data structures)
Feldman, M.B., and E.B. Koffman. Ada: Problem Solving and Program Design.
        Addison-Wesley, September 1991 (intro-level, CS1-oriented)
Fischer, C., and R. LeBlanc. Crafting a Compiler.
	Benjamin Cummings, 1988. (compilers)
Lomuto, N. Problem-Solving Methods with Examples in Ada.
        Prentice-Hall, 1987.
Miller, N.E. and C.G. Petersen. File Structures with Ada.
	Benjamin Cummings, 1990. (file structures)
Skansholm, J. Ada from the Beginning.
	Addison Wesley, 1988. (intro-level)
Volper, D., and M. Katz. Introduction to Programming Using Ada.
	Prentice-Hall, 1990. (intro-level)

Barnes, J. Programming in Ada. (3rd edition)
	Addison Wesley, 1989.
Booch, G.Software Engineering with Ada. (2nd edition)
	Benjamin Cummings 1987.
Bray, G., and Pokrass, D. Understanding Ada A Software Engineering Approach
	Wiley, 1985.
Bryan, D.L., and G.O. Mendal. Exploring Ada, volume 1.
	Prentice-Hall, 1990.
Cohen, N. Ada as a Second Language.
	McGraw Hill, 1986.
Gehani, N. Ada: An Advanced Introduction (2nd edition)
	Prentice Hall, 1989
Gehani, N. UNIX Ada Programming
        Prentice Hall, 1987
Shumate, K. Understanding Ada. (2nd edition)
	John Wiley, 1989.