From: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter)
Subject: Fixed Frame Scheduling
Date: 4 Dec 89 06:20:25 GMT	[thread overview]

I have been implementing a fixed frame scheduler in Ada.  I had initially
planned (note for TH: designed) to do the context switches in some assembly
glue.  This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't feel comfortable enought
with Ada tasking to get the job done in time..I thought.  But after reading
some more in the LRM and Cohen I think I almost see a way.  If anyone has any
hints please send them to me.

(What I mean by fixed frame scheduler is the ability to start the execution of
a task for some predetermined amount of time, and then cut it off.  This looks
like round robin scheduling with very well defined time slices.  I just havn't
figured out how to allow the calling task to get control back from the
acceptor.)

I am working on a vax under VMS and will be running this program at the
highest priority...so I shouldn't have too much problem ensuring that it gets
a lot of CPU.  I would entertain solutions that use features specific to VMS
or specific to VAX Ada...but I would rather see a clean, portable, Ada
solution.

                                Michael

Mike Hunter - Box's and CPU's from HELL: iapx80[012]86, PR1ME 50 Series, 1750a
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com