* X-Windows binding for Ada
@ 1993-07-19 21:21 Charles Lindsey
From: Charles Lindsey @ 1993-07-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

It says in the FAQ that an X binding is available for free from the STARS
Repository, by ftp to source.asset.com.

However, although source.asset.com does ftp, it does not seem to be
anonymous (i.e. the usual logins 'anonymous', 'ftp' and 'guest' do not seem
to work).

Please can someone tell mw what to do, or whether this binding can be
obtained from somewhere else, or whether there are other P.D. bindings that
I should be looking at.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ------------------------------------------------------------
-

* Re: X-Windows binding for Ada
@ 1993-07-21  9:27 cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!xlink.net!n
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!xlink.net!n @ 1993-07-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CAFKoH.Bp5@clw.cs.man.ac.uk>,
chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) writes:

> It says in the FAQ that an X binding is available for free from the STARS
> Repository, by ftp to source.asset.com.
>
> However, although source.asset.com does ftp, it does not seem to be
> anonymous (i.e. the usual logins 'anonymous', 'ftp' and 'guest' do not seem
> to work).
>
> Please can someone tell mw what to do, or whether this binding can be
> obtained from somewhere else, or whether there are other P.D. bindings that
> I should be looking at.

I have been looking around for X/Ada bindings for quite some time, and
also came across a STARS binding which covers Xlib/Xt/Motif. I'm
not sure from where I got it, but I could send you my copy if you
can't find it anywhere.

Note, however, that this is rather old software. The README file says
it has been developed for Motif 1.0.1, and the Xlib/Xt part might well
be based on X11R2. As the FAQ puts it: ``This implementation had
many bugs, but it was there, and it was free.''

We recently got another Xlib/Xt/Motif binding with our DEC Ada 1.1
compiler, which implements X11R4 / Motif 1.1. In the source files it
says that redistribution and use in source and binary forms are
permitted, provided that copyright notice is not deleted, etc. We
haven't been using this binding so far, only compiled the example
programs, which worked without any problems. It shouldn't be too much
work to port it to other compilers, I believe, and this would probably
be greatly appreciated by the Ada community...

By the way, I haven't found this binding mentioned in *any* FAQ or AJPO
binding list.

Contact me via email, if you (or anyone else) is interested in the
software. (Hope I'm not annoying Digital by offering this. Why isn't it
being made available on some ftp host, anyway? Or maybe it is already?)

Andre Spiegel                         University of Stuttgart, Germany
                                       Software Engineering Department

        e-mail:  spiegel@bruessel.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

* Re: X-Windows binding for Ada
@ 1993-07-21 10:12 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland. @ 1993-07-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote (concerning the DEC Ada/Motif binding),

> By the way, I haven't found this binding mentioned in *any* FAQ or AJPO
> binding list.

To correct myself, AJPO does list the DEC binding, but it says that it
is only for VMS. In fact, it also comes with the Ultrix version and
supports it.

@ 1993-07-22 16:28 darwin.sura.net!RBSE.Mountain.Net!RBSE.Mountain.Net!not-for-mail
From: darwin.sura.net!RBSE.Mountain.Net!RBSE.Mountain.Net!not-for-mail @ 1993-07-22 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Lindsey (chl@clw.cs.man.ac.uk) wrote:

: It says in the FAQ that an X binding is available for free from the STARS
: Repository, by ftp to source.asset.com.

: However, although source.asset.com does ftp, it does not seem to be
: anonymous (i.e. the usual logins 'anonymous', 'ftp' and 'guest' do not seem
: to work).

: Please can someone tell mw what to do, or whether this binding can be
: obtained from somewhere else, or whether there are other P.D. bindings that
: I should be looking at.

: --
: Charles H. Lindsey ----------------------------------------------------------
---

To get into the STARS repository -- ASSET -- you have to get an account.
Write to librarian@source.asset.com.

I'm from the AdaNET repository, which is also a FREE repository (NASA
sponsored).  If you're interested, let me know your complete address
(and not the email address), and we'll send you more information and
an application.

For the X binding, will this be helpful?

Ada Implementation of the Xt Toolkit (Ada/Xt)

AdaNET object: 6126
We got this from:  ftp GOGOL.CENATLS.CENA.DGAC.FR (anonymous)   <=== the quick
                   directory: /pub/ada                               way .. :-)
                   file: AdaXt-3.3.tar.Z

Ada/Xt is an Ada implementation of the MIT X Toolkit (Xt).
Xt consists of a set of intrinsics interfaces, which
provide operations for construction, arrangement, and
manipulation of windows, and a set of widgets, which are
window objects ranging from buttons and scrollbars to text
editors.  Xt is built on top of Xlib, which is a low-level
library of window primitives.  The routines in Xlib
provide window functionality by communicating with the X
window server using the X Window System protocol.

Margie Price

* Re: X-Windows binding for Ada
@ 1993-07-22 17:33 dog.ee.lbl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!msuinfo!caen!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!u
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!msuinfo!caen!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!u @ 1993-07-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

The JPL/X/Motif bindings have been made available through the NASA
COSMIC library. The COMSIC library sources are available for a media charge.

The program set title and number are as follows:

	Ada to X-Window Bindings (NPO-18760)

The COSMIC libary may be contacted at:

	COSMIC
	The University of Georgia