* why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-06-09 12:04 endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-06-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

cronyism? aka communism?

there is no such thing as X-capitalism

no such thing as crony capitalism

capitalism is free trade and monopoly is from government as was gr8 depression and 2008

yaron brook asnwers youtube

oracle is cancer

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-06-10  5:51 ` Patrick Jakubowski
From: Patrick Jakubowski @ 2016-06-10  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 14:04:39 UTC+2, endlessboo...@gmail.com  wrote:
> cronyism? aka communism?
>
> there is no such thing as X-capitalism
>
> no such thing as crony capitalism
>
> capitalism is free trade and monopoly is from government as was gr8 depression and 2008
>
> yaron brook asnwers youtube
>
> oracle is cancer

Well. To simply say. Ada was so much ahead of its time that it missed its window of opportunity.

* why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-06-10  9:10 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2016-06-10  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Because Sun paid a lot of companies to use it.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-06-10 14:16   ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-06-10 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:10:03 AM UTC-4, Lucretia wrote:
> Because Sun paid a lot of companies to use it.

I can beleive that!

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-06-10 20:42   ` rieachus
From: rieachus @ 2016-06-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:51:55 AM UTC-4, Patrick Jakubowski wrote:
> Well. To simply say. Ada was so much ahead of its time that it missed its window of opportunity.

In one sense very, very true.  There were a lot of discussions--and eventually existence proofs about Ada compilers running on machines with 256k bytes of memory.  (In some cases, 128 words of addressable memory.)  In addition, early Ada compilers were not as smart about compilation orders as they have become since.

I won't go into PC family memory and addressing, just say that the Alsys compiler which came with a memory card--and the software to make it run on 80286 based machines--was by far the best (but expensive) Ada solution for PCs.  It was quite a while before you could assume that a PC-compatible machine was running in 32-bit mode with virtual memory.

In that gap, Java was sold as "write once, run anywhere" and it could in fact be installed on most PCs whatever their CPU and memory organization.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 11:47     ` Arie van Wingerden
From: Arie van Wingerden @ 2016-07-22 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op vrijdag 10 juni 2016 16:16:06 UTC+2 schreef endlessboo...@gmail.com:
> On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:10:03 AM UTC-4, Lucretia wrote:
> > Because Sun paid a lot of companies to use it.
>
> I can beleive that!

Ada is not "free" in the sense of Java.
There is both a GPL version (not to be used for commercial purposes) and a separate commercial version.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 12:17       ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2016-07-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arie van Wingerden wrote:

> Ada is not "free" in the sense of Java.
> There is both a GPL version (not to be used for commercial purposes) and a separate commercial version.

I think you're confusing the programming language with the compilers
from one vendor.

The Free Software Foundation publishes an Ada compiler, which is free
and can be used to develop both Open Source and closed source software.

AdaCore publishes an Ada compiler for developing only GNU GPL software,
and sells support and access to another one, which can be used to
develop both Open Source and closed source software.

RRSoftware sells Janus/Ada (for an affordable price), which most likely
can be used to develop both Open Source and closed source software.

PTC sells at least two different Ada compilers (ObjectAda and ApexAda),
which most likely can be used to develop both Open Source and closed
source software.

Irvine Compiler Corporation (ICC) sells ICC/Ada, which most likely can
be used to develop both Open Source and closed source software.

DDC-I seems to exist and support existing customers, but I don't know if
they sell their compiler to new customers.

The PTC and ICC compilers are somewhat expensive.  The same goes for the
non-GPL compiler from AdaCore.  I don't know anything about the pricing
of the DDC-I compiler.

I hope I didn't forget anybody...

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Black Hole: Where the universe made a Divide by Zero.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 12:28         ` Arie van Wingerden
From: Arie van Wingerden @ 2016-07-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op vrijdag 22 juli 2016 14:17:57 UTC+2 schreef Jacob Sparre Andersen:
> I think you're confusing the programming language with the compilers
> from one vendor.

Agreed.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 15:20         ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2016-07-22 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 22/07/2016 à 14:17, Jacob Sparre Andersen a écrit :
> I hope I didn't forget anybody...
There is also OC-Systems'PowerAda
(http://www.ocsystems.com/prod_powerada.html) and XGC's ERC32Ada (gnat
based, http://xgc.com/?page_id=178)

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 17:14     ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 4:42:02 PM UTC-4, riea...@comcast.net wrote:
> On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:51:55 AM UTC-4, Patrick Jakubowski wrote:
> > Well. To simply say. Ada was so much ahead of its time that it missed its window of opportunity.
>
> In one sense very, very true.  There were a lot of discussions--and eventually existence proofs about Ada compilers running on machines with 256k bytes of memory.  (In some cases, 128 words of addressable memory.)  In addition, early Ada compilers were not as smart about compilation orders as they have become since.
>
> I won't go into PC family memory and addressing, just say that the Alsys compiler which came with a memory card--and the software to make it run on 80286 based machines--was by far the best (but expensive) Ada solution for PCs.  It was quite a while before you could assume that a PC-compatible machine was running in 32-bit mode with virtual memory.
>
> In that gap, Java was sold as "write once, run anywhere" and it could in fact be installed on most PCs whatever their CPU and memory organization.

with gonga and free gnat(?) gcc ish compiler I can recreated amazon on small scale?

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-22 20:56       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-07-22 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes and large (and more reliable as well :)

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-23  0:08       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2016-07-23  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22.07.16 13:47, Arie van Wingerden wrote:
> Op vrijdag 10 juni 2016 16:16:06 UTC+2 schreef endlessboo...@gmail.com:
>> On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:10:03 AM UTC-4, Lucretia wrote:
>>> Because Sun paid a lot of companies to use it.
>>
>> I can beleive that!
>
> Ada is not "free" in the sense of Java.
> There is both a GPL version (not to be used for commercial purposes) and a separate commercial version.

To put cost in perspective, Oracle's Java SE, supported
editions, are being offered at around $,$$$ to $$,$$$.
Training, also the Self-Study Course for Java EE is in
the same range.

If one wanted JBoss from Redhat, the figures won't be that
different, per year.

Microsoft's MSDN subscriptions for fully commercial use
of their software start at $,$$$ per seat and year.

I understand that developers of programs for Apple devices,
if wanting support that exceeded the one or two incidents included
in the developer programs, would have to pay $$,$$$, too.

There is no free lunch. But, there is good impression
management.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-23  3:15         ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-07-23  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

About making a new Amazon (or whatever e-commerce site): how is the support for HTTPS with GNOGA ?
More specifically, is it possible to have
1) users registering with an e-mail address and password, and after a first confirmation, being able to login, fill a shopping cart, and go for paying the merchandise ?... which leads to:
2) the payment: charging a credit card or paying with Paypal (on some small sites at least, the e-boutique redirects to Paypal site with a description of the purchase and who will be getting payed, then if and when it is completed, there is a new redirection from Paypal back to the site)
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://sf.net/users/gdemont/

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-23  5:44           ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-07-23  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/22/2016 08:15 PM, gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:
> About making a new Amazon (or whatever e-commerce site): how is the support for HTTPS with GNOGA ?

The Chattanooga demo on gnoga.com demonstrates an HTTPS Gnoga application.

--
Jeff Carter
"Now look, Col. Batguano, if that really is your name."

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-25 20:57         ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-25 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 4:56:26 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> yes and large (and more reliable as well :)

awesome!

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-25 20:58         ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-25 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:34:19 PM UTC-4, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> On 22.07.16 13:47, Arie van Wingerden wrote:
> >>
> >> I can beleive that!
> >
> > Ada is not "free" in the sense of Java.
> > There is both a GPL version (not to be used for commercial purposes) and a separate commercial version.
> >

> To put cost in perspective, Oracle's Java SE, supported
> editions, are being offered at around $,$$$ to $$,$$$.
> Training, also the Self-Study Course for Java EE is in
> the same range.
>
> If one wanted JBoss from Redhat, the figures won't be that
> different, per year.
>
> Microsoft's MSDN subscriptions for fully commercial use
> of their software start at $,$$$ per seat and year.
>
> I understand that developers of programs for Apple devices,
> if wanting support that exceeded the one or two incidents included
> in the developer programs, would have to pay $$,$$$, too.
>
> There is no free lunch. But, there is good impression
> management.

are there more ada shops popping up?
id lov to werk for 1

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-26 21:25           ` jrmarino
From: jrmarino @ 2016-07-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:58:25 PM UTC-5, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> are there more ada shops popping up?
> id lov to werk for 1

If I were to have a shop and I was hiring, this line "id lov to werk for 1" would eliminate you from the candidate pile immediately.  I wouldn't wait to figure out if this is some kind of "sms syntax" or just plain mispelled words. (not to mention something that doesn't like using capitalization and punctuation doesn't bode well for an Ada programmer) I'm just shooting straight here ...

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-29  0:18             ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 5:25:41 PM UTC-4, jrmarino wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:58:25 PM UTC-5, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> > are there more ada shops popping up?
> > id lov to werk for 1
>
> If I were to have a shop and I was hiring, this line "id lov to werk for 1" would eliminate you from the candidate pile immediately.  I wouldn't wait to figure out if this is some kind of "sms syntax" or just plain mispelled words. (not to mention something that doesn't like using capitalization and punctuation doesn't bode well for an Ada programmer) I'm just shooting straight here ...

You sound stupid beyond belief.  Why would you ever think you would be in the position to hire anyone? It's internet shorthand you poor brainless fool.

From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-07-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 5:25:41 PM UTC-4, jrmarino wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:58:25 PM UTC-5, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> > are there more ada shops popping up?
> > id lov to werk for 1
>
> If I were to have a shop and I was hiring, this line "id lov to werk for 1" would eliminate you from the candidate pile immediately.  I wouldn't wait to figure out if this is some kind of "sms syntax" or just plain mispelled words. (not to mention something that doesn't like using capitalization and punctuation doesn't bode well for an Ada programmer) I'm just shooting straight here ...

vote trump

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-07-29  1:44               ` jrmarino
From: jrmarino @ 2016-07-29  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 7:18:26 PM UTC-5, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> You sound stupid beyond belief.  Why would you ever think you would be in the position to hire anyone? It's internet shorthand you poor brainless fool.

Then the joke is on you because I very well might in that exact position in a few months.  Do you think people looking to recruit Ada skills don't use this list as a resource?

"werk" is not shorthand, it's mispelled.
Again, anybody that communicates like that does not project professionalism, and you definitely don't (additionally supported by your reaction to good advice).

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-22  0:15         ` endlessboomcapitalism
From: endlessboomcapitalism @ 2016-08-22  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 4:56:26 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> yes and large (and more reliable as well :)

I am grappling with this:

Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-22  1:20           ` Shark8
       [not found]             ` <cf605ce2-d053-46ce-a070-774f10df9572@googlegroups.com>
From: Shark8 @ 2016-08-22  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 6:15:36 PM UTC-6, endlessboo...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 4:56:26 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> > yes and large (and more reliable as well :)
>
> I am grappling with this:
>
> Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?

Short answer: Yes -- You'll need FSF's GNAT.
(IIUC if you're doing software as a service you should be able to use AdaCore's GPL version, though that should probably be bounced off a lawyer.)

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-22 11:45           ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2016-08-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 17:15:31 -0700, endlessboomcapitalism wrote:

> On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 4:56:26 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
>> yes and large (and more reliable as well :)
>
> I am grappling with this:
>
> Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?

If your programs run widget-making machines (or trains) in your startup
and you sell widgets or train tickets, then yes.

If you sell the programs (or embed them in the widgets), then you can
choose the FSF Gnat, or GPL your product, or pay Adacore for a
professional edition of Gnat.

The FSF Gnat has a runtime exception in the license, allowing you to use
the RTS (runtime system) without having to GPL your product, while the
Adacore Libre edition comes with a RTS covered by the GPL.

-- Brian

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-25 15:26             ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2016-08-25 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Drummond <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 17:15:31 -0700, endlessboomcapitalism wrote:
>
>> Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?
>
> If your programs run widget-making machines (or trains) in your startup
> and you sell widgets or train tickets, then yes.
>
> If you sell the programs (or embed them in the widgets), then you can
> choose the FSF Gnat, or GPL your product, or pay Adacore for a
> professional edition of Gnat.

If your tiny startup can afford a license.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-26 17:49           ` Nicolas Colin Paul de Gloucester
From: Nicolas Colin Paul de Gloucester @ 2016-08-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

EndLessBoomCapitalism@GMail.com -
|"[. . .]                                                         |
|I am grappling with this:                                        |
|Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?"|

Would clients of a firm want to pay a firm that does not want to pay
for a good compiler?

With kind regards,
Colin Paul Gloster, Coimbra University

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-26 18:21             ` Some Dude
From: Some Dude @ 2016-08-26 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:49:31 PM UTC+1, Nicolas Colin Paul de Gloucester wrote:

> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
> |"[. . .]                                                         |
> |                                                                 |
> |I am grappling with this:                                        |
> |                                                                 |
> |Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?"|
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
>
> Would clients of a firm want to pay a firm that does not want to pay
> for a good compiler?

Of course they would.

Nowadays, many compilers are free as in "permissive license for any use". If Ada ever wanted to gain some traction and widespread popularity, either (a) GNAT would have to become LGPL or (b) someone else would need to make an LGPL or BSD licensed Ada compiler or (c) AdaCore would have to sell the full toolchain, including the libraries but perhaps without Spark and without further support, for less than $100. A working cross-platform GUI option (not "web-based") written in Ada and with permissive license would also not harm.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-27 18:15               ` Andrew Shvets
From: Andrew Shvets @ 2016-08-27 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not quite.  Ada, when it first came out, required you to buy a compiler and it was closed source.  Java, when it first came out was closed source, but the compiler (and run-time environment) was free.  During the 90's when this was a huge deal, getting to the market first with a so-so product was more important than being late with a quality product (still is the case today, somewhat.)

So, Java took over.  I started programming in Java as well.  It didn't help that Java had a ton of literature to get you started and Ada's was nowhere near as organized and developed.  The language is great, but the various supporting elements around it could be much much better.

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-08-29 16:56                 ` Nicolas Colin Paul de Gloucester
From: Nicolas Colin Paul de Gloucester @ 2016-08-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Shvets sent:
|"[. . .] Ada, when it first came out, required you to buy a compiler  |
|and it was closed source.  Java, when it first came out was closed    |
|source, but the compiler (and run-time environment) was free.  During |
|the 90's when this was a huge deal, getting to the market first with a|
|so-so product was more important than being late with a quality       |
|product (still is the case today, somewhat.)                          |
|So, Java took over.  [. . .]"                                         |

Dear Andrew Shvets:

I agree that gratis availability of Java is an important reason for
its widespread distribution. Gratis availability was not
sufficient. The same firm also provided StrongTalk; Fortress; and Self
for gratis. It decided to market Java and to promote none of
StrongTalk; Fortress; and Self.

Another reason is that C++ was widespread, and the syntax of Java was
designed to encourage C++ hackers to adopt Java.

Thy sincerely,
Nicholas Colin Paul de Gloucester

@ 2016-09-01 19:37               ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2016-09-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 1:12:06 PM UTC-6, polymorph self wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:20:09 PM UTC-4, Shark8 wrote:
> > >
> > > I am grappling with this:
> > >
> > > Can I use GNAT to make programs in my for profit startup or not?
> >
> > Short answer: Yes -- You'll need FSF's GNAT.
> > (IIUC if you're doing software as a service you should be able to use AdaCore's GPL version, though that should probably be bounced off a lawyer.)
>
> Ok sO I could write my website in gnoga with GNAT and have no trouble.
>
> Would black duck come along and demand my code?
>
> IE can the site I build with gonga on gnat be MINE?

IIUC if you're doing a website it doesn't matter which GNAT you're using, you're fine. (As this is equivalent to providing a service, not actually selling the software.) -- But check w/ a lawyer (or someone who KNOWS the licensing) before using AdaCore's GPL GNAT.

FSF GNAT -- https://www.gnu.org/software/gnat/
ACT GNAT -- http://libre.adacore.com/download/
Or see: http://getadanow.com/

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-09-01 20:34                 ` Simon Wright
       [not found]                   ` <fae409bf-d42c-46b2-b3e5-5d021e358108@googlegroups.com>
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-09-01 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> writes:

> FSF GNAT -- https://www.gnu.org/software/gnat/

Only 7 years out of date!

@ 2016-09-04 12:16               ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2016-09-04 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok sO I could write my website in gnoga with GNAT and have no trouble.

Only the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPL) will virus websites and services. So until someone modifies the licenses on the runtime of GPL GNAT's runtimes to be AGPL, you can use GPL GNAT with GNOGA with no issues.

Keep in mind there are truly free versions of gnat (see  http://getadanow.com  )that do not have GPL virused runtimes (sadly the FSF made it possible for the GPL to be abused that way and the original MGPL licenses thrown out).

> Would black duck come along and demand my code?

No. You could even sell or give others your product etc. with the GPL version, however anyone having access to your executable has the right to the code, that doesn't apply to websites unless they are virused with AGPL.

> IE can the site I build with gonga on gnat be MINE?

It is yours regardless. The only question is what rights you have to give others if they have access to what is yours. Example, most of Gnoga is "mine" with my copyright and I own it (although not all as others contribute and maintain it as well), however everyone has the right to use and include GNOGA in anything they do even closed source projects.

David Botton

@ 2016-09-10  7:14                     ` Simon Wright
       [not found]                       ` <27d172c3-de26-4b4e-8660-d6f12e2e1349@googlegroups.com>
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-09-10  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

polymorph self <jackvanc3@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 4:34:43 PM UTC-4, Simon Wright wrote:
>> Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > FSF GNAT -- https://www.gnu.org/software/gnat/
>>
>> Only 7 years out of date!
>
> So is there a free software GNAT compiler that is up to date?

If you go to that site you will see

   GNAT is a free, high-quality, complete compiler for Ada95, integrated
   into the GCC compiler system.

and what I was objecting to was that, since FSF GCC now supports
Ada2012, that notice is out of date (and, in fact, by 17 years, not 7!)

I'm just submitting a comment to that effect ...

@ 2016-09-23  6:35                         ` Simon Wright
       [not found]                           ` <d965074c-b286-4625-9359-460b109b2868@googlegroups.com>
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-09-23  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

polymorph self <jackvanc3@gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 3:14:15 AM UTC-4, Simon Wright wrote:
>> polymorph self < writes:

>> > So is there a free software GNAT compiler that is up to date?
>>
>> If you go to that site you will see
>>
>>    GNAT is a free, high-quality, complete compiler for Ada95, integrated
>>    into the GCC compiler system.
>>
>> and what I was objecting to was that, since FSF GCC now supports
>> Ada2012, that notice is out of date (and, in fact, by 17 years, not 7!)
>>
>> I'm just submitting a comment to that effect ...
>
> What?

What? (i.e., what didn't you like/understand about my remark?)

Anyway, the page is now fixed.

FSF GCC Ada is a compiler whose libraries come under the GPL v3 with the
Run Time Library exception, and can be used to create proprietary
software. You can get the compiler from various places. See
getadanow.com.

GNAT GPL (from libre.adacore.com) is pretty much the same compiler, but
its libraries don't come with the Run Time Library exception.

If you buy support from AdaCore - not cheap - you get libraries that do
have the RTL exception (and very good support, too).

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
       [not found]                           ` <d965074c-b286-4625-9359-460b109b2868@googlegroups.com>
@ 2016-09-24  8:37                             ` G.B.
                                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: G.B. @ 2016-09-24  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.09.16 09:30, polymorph self wrote:
> Can I use a free ada compiler to create a website that I can own and sell?
> yes or no?

To know whether you own or can sell X, you need to known what X is,
precisely, and also about how you are allowed to use all of X's parts,
precisely. And what "use" means, precisely, and what "free" is
to mean. And whether you care about being sued or not, of course.

Welcome to business decision making. Advice is not usually free,
only the law is, except for the money spent directly or indirectly
on obtaining the text of the law. Or maybe of agreements where there
is no inclusive law, such as in international trade.
Still, lawyers' services are as free as those of business advisors.
Business advisors' services are as free as programmers' services.
Programmers cannot normally work for free. So, even most free software,
in every sense of the word, is somehow funded ("bought", not for free).

There is a scenario that lets you use GPLed software, build a service
by "adding" the software to your own software, and sell something,
such as a certain kind of output produced by the combined software.
If you use GNAT GPL edition to build a web service for adding two
numbers and outputting the result, and if all other software you combine
with yours is GPLed, too, then you can still sell the output of
that numeric addition program as part of the service, without
needing to show the program's sources. However, selling the whole
program as opposed to its service is a different matter.
Anyway, AdaCore reminds you that GNAT GPL edition is not meant
for commercial use.

A slightly different scenario lets you use licensed software,
including GPLicensed software, in an exceptional way, provided
that the exceptions are those stated in the software license.
FSF GNAT carries one such exception added to the GPL, and it
applies to the very FSF GNAT that you can obtain in some way.
This scenario may let you sell a closed source product.

In any case, I assume that the sale of programs or licenses
will heavily involve contract law, too.

But, IANAL.

--
"HOTDOGS ARE NOT BOOKMARKS"
Springfield Elementary teaching staff

@ 2016-09-24 11:38                             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-09-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

:plonk:

@ 2016-09-25 10:08                             ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2016-09-25 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 7:30:43 AM UTC, polymorph self wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 2:35:26 AM UTC-4, Simon Wright wrote:
> > polymorph self writes:

> > > What?
> >
> > What? (i.e., what didn't you like/understand about my remark?)
> >
> > Anyway, the page is now fixed.
> >
> > FSF GCC Ada is a compiler whose libraries come under the GPL v3 with the
> > Run Time Library exception, and can be used to create proprietary
> > software. You can get the compiler from various places. See
> > getadanow.com.
> >
> > GNAT GPL (from libre.adacore.com) is pretty much the same compiler, but
> > its libraries don't come with the Run Time Library exception.
> >
> > If you buy support from AdaCore - not cheap - you get libraries that do
> > have the RTL exception (and very good support, too).
>
> Again your words are all over the place with too many assertions in each sentance.
>
> Can I use a free ada compiler to create a website that I can own and sell?
> yes or no?
>
> blackduck loves to sue about gpl3 so you have to give your code

Yes, you can. Especially if you use FSF GNAT. Maybe you should do more research about what exactly gpl license actually means instead of asking strange questions. Really, why you didn't just do google search?

@ 2016-09-25 12:52                     ` rabbibotton
From: rabbibotton @ 2016-09-25 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://getadanow.com

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
       [not found]                           ` <d965074c-b286-4625-9359-460b109b2868@googlegroups.com>
                                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-25 12:56                             ` rabbibotton
From: rabbibotton @ 2016-09-25 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can I use a free ada compiler to create a website that I can own and sell?
> yes or no?

To make things easy for you (as they should be and once was), only use the community complier - FSF GNAT, see http://getadanow.com and you will have an actually free (as in freedom) compiler that you won't have to think about these things, be it website, desktop or mobile app.

David Botton

* Re: why is java so widespread when ada is free? makes 0 sense
@ 2016-09-25 17:38                               ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2016-09-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 12:56:11 PM UTC wrote:
> > Can I use a free ada compiler to create a website that I can own and sell?
> > yes or no?
>
> To make things easy for you (as they should be and once was), only use the community complier - FSF GNAT, see http://getadanow.com and you will have an actually free (as in freedom) compiler that you won't have to think about these things, be it website, desktop or mobile app.
>
> David Botton

I really admire your patience :)
I personally get ticked off once I read certain amount
of short and basic questions in succession.

darkestkhan