* TIOBE Programming Community Index
@ 2007-03-12  9:27 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-03-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

You know I am quite critical of the index [1] - Still it is widely used
so I always have look at it.

This month a trend which I have observed the last few month has become
even more apparent: The languages occupying the TOP-5 have all lost
ground (while maintaining there relative position) - with place 6 being
unchanged. On the other end all but one language in position 7 to 20
have gained ground (with relative positions scrambled).

It might be wishfull thinking but could "Everybody programs in language
X - so we need to program in X as well" finally come to an end?

Ada itself is on 17 for several month now but last year we had a better
position a place 14. We also gained 0.06% but that was not enough to
keep our position [2].

At this time I like to remind you all that only web-pages containing the
magic term "Ada programming" will be counted. We would not be the first
to hack the index by making sure that *every* relevant page *also* has
the magic term. Or how do you think Ruby [3] and D [4] made there sudden
steep accent? But I don't consider it cheating as long as the page
really is about the language in question.

Martin

[1] http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
[2] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Ada.html
[3] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Ruby.html
[4] http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/D.html

* Re: TIOBE Programming Community Index
@ 2007-03-12  9:43 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2007-03-12  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik:

> At this time I like to remind you all that only web-pages containing the
> magic term "Ada programming" will be counted. We would not be the first
> to hack the index by making sure that *every* relevant page *also* has
> the magic term. Or how do you think Ruby [3] and D [4] made there sudden
> steep accent? But I don't consider it cheating as long as the page
> really is about the language in question.

Probably it would be biasing against the language L (whatever) if nobody
hacked the index for that language...
Gautier         -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: TIOBE Programming Community Index
@ 2007-03-12 13:46   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-03-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier schrieb:

>> At this time I like to remind you all that only web-pages containing
>> the magic term "Ada programming" will be counted. We would not be the
>> first to hack the index by making sure that *every* relevant page
>> *also* has the magic term. Or how do you think Ruby [3] and D [4] made
>> there sudden steep accent? But I don't consider it cheating as long as
>> the page really is about the language in question.
>
> Probably it would be biasing against the language L (whatever) if nobody
> hacked the index for that language...

The Index is about *current* popularity and if no advocate for L is
there to hack the index then L is not popular. Might be sad news for L
but that's the way it is.

And this is true for L=Ada as well, hence my reminder.

Note that even Tiobe once mentioned a language community which had a
plan to increase there ranking.

Martin

* Re: TIOBE Programming Community Index
@ 2007-03-12 16:22 ` jtg
From: jtg @ 2007-03-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> Or how do you think Ruby [3] and D [4] made there sudden
> steep accent?

According to my favourite popularity index (based on job offers), Ruby
is indeed on the rise:
   http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ruby.do
   http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contracts/uk/ruby.do
But it seems they don't include D in their statistics, although they
track thousands of IT keywords.

* Re: TIOBE Programming Community Index
@ 2007-03-12 17:10   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-03-12 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

jtg wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> Or how do you think Ruby [3] and D [4] made there sudden
>> steep accent?
>
> According to my favourite popularity index (based on job offers), Ruby
> is indeed on the rise:
>    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ruby.do
>    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contracts/uk/ruby.do
> But it seems they don't include D in their statistics, although they
> track thousands of IT keywords.

Sure Ruby is on the rise I don't doubt that.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net