  • * Re: Assembly language (was: Re: Another 1.3 wish.)
           [not found] <8707190424.AA10158@cogsci.berkeley.edu>
           [not found] ` <434@sugar.UUCP>
    @ 1987-08-19 18:00 ` Steven D. Litvintchouk
    From: Steven D. Litvintchouk @ 1987-08-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

    In article <2176@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

    > DOD could save grunches of training costs downstream by sponsoring
    > high quality, validated, PUBLIC DOMAIN Ada(tm) compilers for the
    > existing suitable home computers now.

    The DoD already sponsored the development of two Ada compilers +
    associated toolsets: the Army Ada Language System, and the Air Force
    Ada Integrated Environment.  For various reasons, these were not
    entirely successful, especially compared to the commercial efforts.

    > The Mac, the PC-AT and clones,
    > the Amiga 500/1000/2000, and the Atari come to mind as likely targets
    > for such an effort.  This would probably be a direct 100 or 1000 to 1
    > benefit to cost ratio in terms of DOD and other government training
    > money saved by having folks train themselves in Ada, and would aid the
    > entire national software productivity picture by vastly upgrading the
    > use of a maintainable, software engineering oriented language
    > nationwide, as a no added cost side benefit.

    I agree wholeheartedly.  The Amiga is especially interesting because
    of its multitasking exec built into hardware.  With multitasking
    supported by message passing, the Amiga might provide a highly
    efficient runtime environment for Ada.  Have any Ada compiler writers
    looked at the Amiga either as a host or target?

    > At the rate things are going, it might be 5 years before a validated
    > Ada compiler priced for the home user is available.  That is just five
    > more years of DOD funding essentially all Ada training.

    Meridian is developing a compiler for the IBM PC, and it's logical to
    assume that they or someone else will host/target the Mac.

    > The excessive (better, not sensitive to company size) cost of
    > validation probably prevents a lot of small companies from considering
    > making a splash in the Ada compiler pool.  (The 20 man years or so of
    > high priced talent required doesn't help a lot, either, of course.)

    Perhaps another reason is that Ada compilers wouldn't compare
    favorably with Turbo Pascal, Manx C, etc., because of:

       a.  Efficiency:  I can get a Modula-2 compiler for my Amiga that
    	generates code comparable in efficiency to C.  Also, I can
    	run everything, libraries and all, off a single floppy.
    	What Ada compilers can do a comparable job in compilation
    	and runtime efficiency?  Will I be forced to buy a 50 megabyte
    	hard disk to host the Ada libraries on my Amiga?

       b.  Target environment:  Again, the Modula-2 compiler for my Amiga
    	provides a *full* language interface to the graphics routines, the
    	windowing interface, the Amiga exec, the ROM routines, etc.
    	Essentially I can program nearly anything in Modula-2 that
    	I can program in C.
    	But most Ada compilers don't provide such wide
    	interfaces to the target machine.
    	It's ridiculous for Alsys, say, to sell a PC compiler
    	that takes over the whole machine, bypasses MS-DOS, and
    	requires a special board.

    There are two kinds of Ada users: those who program in Ada because the
    DoD tells them to, and those who program in Ada because they genuinely
    feel it's a superior programming language.  If you want to reach this
    latter group of users, you must provide the same kinds of efficiency
    and support facilities that people have come to expect from C, Turbo
    Pascal, etc.  The excuse that it's OK that Ada compilers consume a lot
    of resources because they're doing so much work to process *huge*
    multiperson software wears a little thin in the PC world; I don't
    write huge multiperson programs on my Amiga.

    Steven Litvintchouk
    MITRE Corporation
    Burlington Road
    Bedford, MA  01730

    Fone:  (617)271-7753
    ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
    UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

    @ 1987-08-25  6:04 ` Roger Vossler
    From: Roger Vossler @ 1987-08-25  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <2176@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
    *The cheapest validated personal computer Ada compiler still
    *porks in above $1000, last I heard.  (I've given up waiting, and
    *ordered a Modula 2 compiler for personal use, $200 list.)  So, code
    *written in Ada might as well be pseudocode, for all most of us care
    *for our own use.

    Although we are a large defense contractor and are using Ada, members of
    my group have used Modula-2 very successfully on a number of efforts
    internally. Modula-2 makes a very nice, small, cheap, fast, and powerful
    subset of Ada, particularly, when we have to pay for it out of our own
    pockets. 8-) Taxpayers may not be too concerned about how their money is
    spent, but stockholders are less charitable.
    --
    -- Roger Vossler
       TRW, Bldg O2-1395, One Space Park, Redondo Beach, CA 90278