* UML and code generation tools
@ 2002-08-23  1:23 jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-08-23  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I remember a while back someone talking about contributing a code
generator for ada from uml to some tool.  i have been working a bit
with argo   (www.tigris.org) an open source uml tool in java.  it had
some problems early on but now seems pretty nice (especially after i
made the mac look and feel work for it on os x ;-)  Anyway i was
wanting to see if there was a way to add an ada code generator to it
(there is already a java one).  can anyone provide me pointers to an
open source code generator that i could use as a starting point (or
better yet as i am spending a lot of time on the gnat for mac os x
project [http://adapower.net/macos] one thats already done)

thanks jim

* Re: UML and code generation tools
@ 2002-08-23 19:07 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-08-23 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

jim hopper <hopperj@macconnect.com> writes:

> I remember a while back someone talking about contributing a code
> generator for ada from uml to some tool.  i have been working a bit
> with argo   (www.tigris.org) an open source uml tool in java.  it had
> some problems early on but now seems pretty nice (especially after i
> made the mac look and feel work for it on os x ;-)  Anyway i was
> wanting to see if there was a way to add an ada code generator to it
> (there is already a java one).  can anyone provide me pointers to an
> open source code generator that i could use as a starting point (or
> better yet as i am spending a lot of time on the gnat for mac os x
> project [http://adapower.net/macos] one thats already done)

Well, on my twin-400MHz-Celeron box Argo runs like a snail and seems
pretty flaky. But that's after only a few minutes with it. And no
doubt there are usage tweaks that one could come to grips with.

There's my ColdFrame at http://www.pushface.org/coldframe/, someone
contributed one for the Dia diagramming package, and Pat Rogers made
one for PragSoft(?)'s UML Studio (which you get to pay for).

* Re: UML and code generation tools
@ 2002-08-24  0:49   ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-08-24  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon,

this looks like what i want.  Argo runs really nicely on my mac os x
laptop.  i hacked their code a bit to give it the mac look and feel
(they had hard coded the Look and feel) and now you couldnt tell it
wasnt a native executable if someone didnt tell you.

i had trouble with it being flaky in the .98 eersion but the newer
versions seem pretty stable.  at least as stable as rose was for me ;-)

i wonder since you use XML as a intermeediate and there is a rose
compatability app to move their output file to rose output if i couldnt
just use it that way without having to do to much to it.

thanks for the pointer!

Jim

@ 2002-08-24 17:12     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-08-24 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

jim hopper <hopperj@macconnect.com> writes:

> this looks like what i want.  Argo runs really nicely on my mac os x
> laptop.  i hacked their code a bit to give it the mac look and feel
> (they had hard coded the Look and feel) and now you couldnt tell it
> wasnt a native executable if someone didnt tell you.

Hmm, I tried it on the laptop with the Blackdown 1.3.0 JVM, no joy at
all. The one it was flaky on says it's Classic VM (build
Linux_JDK_1.2.2_FCS, native threads, sunwjit).

> i wonder since you use XML as a intermeediate and there is a rose
> compatability app to move their output file to rose output if i couldnt
> just use it that way without having to do to much to it.

The version of Rose I've been developing with doesn't have that option
(if it does, it's well hidden). Perhaps the newr versions do.

There's enough investment in the present translation that I'd look
into an XSLT transformation from the Rose format (XMI?) to mine (which
I ought to document some time RSN).

> thanks for the pointer!

No problem!

* Re: UML and code generation tools
@ 2002-08-25 14:02       ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-08-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x7v8z2wfaf3.fsf@pushface.org>, Simon Wright
<simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> The version of Rose I've been developing with doesn't have that option
> (if it does, it's well hidden). Perhaps the newr versions do.
Its an addin that you get from rationals website to XMI,

and UMLTOOL moves ARG to the format that rose can import  so might be
able to create a chain thats a kludge but would work for a while.

best jim