From: west@widgit.enet.dec.com (Jim West (Stealth Contractor))
Subject: Re: Mindless Transitions!
Date: 1 Jan 91 03:38:56 GMT	[thread overview]

  My specialty and interests are with the X Window System and graphics.  I too
am a proponent of Ada, but for the last 6 years I've done graphic work with
both Ada and C (as of late) and I don't believe that Ada should be doing
graphics at this time.  C is much more proficient at it.  One of the main
reasons I say this is that all graphic systems are not re-entrant which means
you basically can't use them from tasks.  Another is that systems such as
X Window, and PHIGS are implemented in C and are generally expected to be
used from same.  I find that programmers tend to create a chest full of
convenience routines that essentially try to convert the C stuff (like
pointers) into Ada defined structures.  I really believe that more work
is going on than should be done.  My main concern with this is for mission
critical applications, generally you want code that is _both_ fast and
efficient.

  I know that there is considerable work being done with Ada and X but it
still has a way to go.

  Having been on a couple of projects (DoD) with workstations being the
interface and having Ada mandated has caused some problems.  I have found
that productivity levels for the development of these interfaces just
really are not up to par.

  As I mentioned above, I am a proponent of Ada, and will continue to do
work with X and PHIGS because I enjoy the challenge, but I don't believe
that Ada should be mandated blindly.

  Well, I'm stepping off the soap box now so that someone else may have
a turn. :^)

 Jim West                      |  The Schainker Converse
 west@widgit.enet.dec.com      |  to Hoare's Law :

 These are my opinions.        |   Inside every small problem
 Digital has no idea           |     is a larger problem struggling
 what I'm  saying.             |       to get out.