* Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 11:02 Charles L
From: Charles L @ 2008-02-18 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone direct me to any online Ada tutorials that they know of?

Thanks in advance,

Charles L

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 11:48 ` framefritti
From: framefritti @ 2008-02-18 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles L ha scritto:

> Can anyone direct me to any online Ada tutorials that they know of?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Charles L

Hi,
here it is a "metalink" (a link to a page with links to learning
resources) (see question # 3)

http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/learning.html

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 13:32 ` Hibou57
From: Hibou57 @ 2008-02-18 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 fév, 12:02, "Charles L" <tj...@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to any online Ada tutorials that they know of?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Charles L

Hello Carles,

Would like to suggest these :

Frecnch tutorial only - Cours Ada fait à l'IUT d'Aix-En-Provence (fr)
-> https://libre2.adacore.com/french_courses/main.html

Introducing Ada - my favorite overview of Ada (at AdaIC)
-> http://www.adaic.org/whyada/intro.html#contents

From Coronado Enterprises - Last update, February 1, 1998
-> http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pautet/Ada95/a95list.htm

Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming
-> http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

The very famous so called "Lovelace" tutorial (has moved from time to
time)
-> http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm

Have a nice day Carles, & happy designing :)

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 13:47   ` alexandru.chircu
From: alexandru.chircu @ 2008-02-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

While on the topic of *online* tutorials, do any pdf's for
"Programming in Ada 2005" by Barnes or "Concurrent and real-time
programming in Ada" by Burns and Wellings exist? Carrying them both
around in my backpack is kinda unacceptable :).

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 14:32     ` Tomek Walkuski
From: Tomek Walkuski @ 2008-02-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Lut, 14:47, "alexandru.chi...@gmail.com"
<alexandru.chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While on the topic of *online* tutorials, do any pdf's for
> "Programming in Ada 2005" by Barnes or "Concurrent and real-time
> programming in Ada" by Burns and Wellings exist? Carrying them both
> around in my backpack is kinda unacceptable :).

The latter exists for sure, but paper versions are better!

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 14:47   ` Stefan Lucks
From: Stefan Lucks @ 2008-02-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Can anyone direct me to any online Ada tutorials that they know of?

For a brief tutorial on Ada 05 programming, which is still very much under
developement, see the Crash Course by Peter C. Chapin:

     http://vortex.ecet.vtc.edu/pcc/AdaCrash.pdf

The tutorials below, sugessted by Hibou57, seem to deal with Ada 95, only.
(I did not look at the content of the french course.)

--
Stefan Lucks      (moved to Bauhaus-University Weimar, Germany)
  		       <Stefan.Lucks at medien.uni-weimar.de>

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 17:47     ` Hibou57
From: Hibou57 @ 2008-02-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 fév, 15:47, Stefan Lucks <lu...@th.informatik.uni-mannheim.de>
wrote:
> The tutorials below, sugessted by Hibou57, seem to deal with Ada 95, only.
> (I did not look at the content of the french course.)

Yes Stefan, you are right. But it is worth to say that for most of
case, Ada2005 is somewhat similar to Ada95. There is not so much
change from Ada95 to Ada2005 as there was from Ada85 to Ada95.

For an overview of the differences, one may have a look at the Ada2005
rationale of changes, and first have a look at the overview contained
in this rationale :
-> http://www.adaic.com/standards/05rat/html/Rat-1-3.html

Ada95 was just needed a consolidation, not deep changes, thus Ada2005
is rather a confirmation of what was Ada95.

Thanks for your interesting comment any way :)

Extras :
> The documents on this page consolidate Amendment 1 to Ada 95 with Technical Corrigendum 1
> and the Ada Standard (International Standard ISO/IEC 8652:1995). The Amendment was
> produced by the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 9 Ada Rapporteur Group (ARG). These documents
> are not an official publication or work product of the ARG, but rather are provided by
> Ada Europe as a service to the Ada community.
>
> The development of Ada 95 and Ada 2005 would have been impossible without the strong
> foundation provided by Ada 83. As part of the numerous rounds of edits on the Reference
> Manual, the acknowledgments regarding the design team for the original language were
> unfortunately omitted. We apologize for this omission. The acknowledgment section
> for the Ada 83 language can be found in the Foreword of the Ada 83 standard.
Source : http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada05.html

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 19:46 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-02-18 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles L wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to any online Ada tutorials that they know of?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming

I think it is the best one - not because I am one of the authors - but
because I am only one of the authors.

And it is the only tutorial in active development. The others are rather
static and getting old.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-18 21:41   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-02-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Hibou57" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

General point: check the links at:
   http://www.adaic.org/learn/index.html

Especially check out the textbooks page, many have on-line versions.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Ada Distilled:
   http://www.adaic.org/docs/distilled/adadistilled.pdf

> Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming
> -> http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

The AdaIC site also has a copy of "Craft":
    http://www.adaic.org/docs/craft/html/contents.htm

>The very famous so called "Lovelace" tutorial (has moved from time to time)
> -> http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm

As we all know, AdaHome is completely dead; it is best to link to the *real*
home of the Lovelace tutorial, David Wheeler's web site:
http://www.dwheeler.com/lovelace/

                                      Randy Brukardt, AdaIC webmaster

* Re: Online Ada Tutorials
@ 2008-02-19 17:23     ` Hibou57
From: Hibou57 @ 2008-02-19 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

From one of the previously document from AdaIC, I look like to point a
special point addressed in this document :
-> http://www.adaic.com/standards/05rat/html/Rat-1-3-2.html

Chance is that this will be one of the biggest difference for a lot of
people, and this also especially important for beginners, beceause the
uniformaty of the new syntax allowed by Ada2005 will probably help a
better acceptence of Ada.

I would just like to say that in my humble opinion, using named access
type every where (and think to define them as soon as candidate to
access are defined) is probably a good idea.

A named access type can give more expressiveness than anonymous access
type (when named, you can give it a name which better express the
purpose than a generic designation of the semantic).

Yannick