* SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-10 14:38 Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2012-01-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Turning co-operation into a single operation, AdaCore and SofCheck,
maker of AdaMagic, static analyis tools, and the ParaSail language
merge to become AdaCore.

http://www.adacore.com/2012/01/10/adacore-sofcheck-merge/

If spreading some FUD is o.K., the merger might result in one compiler
less to be had; to be had, in particular, for what small shops can
name reasonable money, for less demanding support requirements, of course.

OTOH, AdaMagic might continue to exist in its C++ or C generating
form, since this is a very viable tool targeting platforms with
existing compilers and runtimes for C++ or C.

AdaMagic might even start to become available using a different
licensing scheme.  Generating shrouded source, maybe?

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-10 16:18 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2012-01-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 10, 2:38 pm, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauh...@futureapps.de>
wrote:
> Turning co-operation into a single operation, AdaCore and SofCheck,
> maker of AdaMagic, static analyis tools, and the ParaSail language
> merge to become AdaCore.
>
> http://www.adacore.com/2012/01/10/adacore-sofcheck-merge/
>
> If spreading some FUD is o.K., the merger might result in one compiler
> less to be had; to be had, in particular, for what small shops can
> name reasonable money, for less demanding support requirements, of course.
>
> OTOH, AdaMagic might continue to exist in its C++ or C generating
> form, since this is a very viable tool targeting platforms with
> existing compilers and runtimes for C++ or C.
>
> AdaMagic might even start to become available using a different
> licensing scheme.  Generating shrouded source, maybe?

Might result in 3 compilers less not 1, don't GHS and ObjectAda use
AdaMagic as their front-end?

I guess users will be offered a migration path from AdaMagic
technology to GNAT but for a lot of cash-strapped projects that would
be an option - even if they were offered GNAT for free, the cost of
porting to GNAT is > $0.

-- Martin

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-11 15:40 ` usenet
From: usenet @ 2012-01-11 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-01-10, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote:
> Turning co-operation into a single operation, AdaCore and SofCheck,
> maker of AdaMagic, static analyis tools, and the ParaSail language
> merge to become AdaCore.

Thanks for the news. AdaCore is not my favorite company although they sure
have some top people, even more so now. A little scary having all the Ada
gurus in one company that forces GPL on everybody that can't afford 20
thousand bucks or whatever it costs for an entry into the game.

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-11 20:36 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2012-01-11 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

No need to spread any FUD.  We will continue to support the AdaMagic front end, in much the same way we have supported it for the past 15 years.  AdaCore has every reason to keep the Ada tool vendor community vibrant.

-Tucker Taft

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-11 20:43   ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2012-01-11 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

No need for any FUD.  We will continue to support the AdaMagic front end in much the same way we have for the past 15 years.

-Tucker Taft

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-12  7:31     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2012-01-12  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tucker Taft <tucker.taft@gmail.com> wrote:
> No need for any FUD.  We will continue to support the AdaMagic front end
> in much the same way we have for the past 15 years.
>
> -Tucker Taft

That's good to know! Is it possible that the merger could actually improve
the situation with AdaMagic becoming more Ada2012 featured?...

-- Martin
--
-- Sent from my iPad

* Re: SofCheck merged with AdaCore
@ 2012-01-12 23:24       ` KK6GM
From: KK6GM @ 2012-01-12 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 11, 11:31 pm, Martin Dowie <mar...@re.mo.ve.thedowies.com>
wrote:
> Tucker Taft <tucker.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No need for any FUD.  We will continue to support the AdaMagic front end
> > in much the same way we have for the past 15 years.
>
> > -Tucker Taft
>
> That's good to know! Is it possible that the merger could actually improve
> the situation with AdaMagic becoming more Ada2012 featured?...

That would be a fabulous outcome.  And then if an unsupported GPL
version could be made available, Ada exposure in the embedded
community might really blossom.  I know I'd use it in a heartbeat
wherever I could (even the current Ada95 product).