From: stephane.los@neuf.fr
Subject: Re: Ada / MS WinCE
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 13:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-05-01T13:07:25-07:00	[thread overview]

On 29 avr, 23:47, "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter....@spam.acm.org>
wrote:
> stephane....@neuf.fr wrote:
>
> > I am talking about WinCE because our customers buy that platform and
> > development on it.
>
> What vendors have you asked about Wince support? Of those that support Windows,
> you might be able to find one that would be willing to make a port to Wince for you.
>
> > So I will continue with C and C++ because I have everything needed for
> > the work and with Ada nothing. :-(
>
> SofCheck has a compiler that outputs ANSI C, so that's another avenue for using
> Ada on this platform.
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Go and boil your bottoms."
> Monty Python & the Holy Grail
> 01

Hi there,

To quote Ivan, " If you want to get to the top, you have to start at
the bottom".

For the moment I am learning Ada, so I am actually at the bottom.

And I have no idea where is the top... :-)

On my hardware I can play with :
 - our own Real Time OS written in C, and a GNU gcc tool chain
together with an Hitex Windows IDE,
 - WinCE, we have a BSP for it and Embedded Visual tools which allows
me to write C / C++,
 - and for Linux, a BSP and a gcc tool chain.

And nothing for Ada.

I have some interest in learning Ada, found an elegant and powerfull
language, with nice features that could lead to something like Java
"program once, run everywhere" but in a compiled fashion.

So, I have bought nice books with stars and orchyds and started to
learn both on a windows and a linux machine with AdaGIDE and GPS.

I was not too much impressed by AdaGIDE and got some problems with GPS
on windows so now I stick on my Linux machine with GPS and for the
moment I am glad.

That said, one can see that he absolutely must stop considering me as
a future customer as I cannot afford the money to spend on tools for
highly skilled personnel. I am just a beggar like Aqualung.

Of course, if I could impress my customers with wonderfull tools and
apps that might change...

But for the moment, I feel a lack with affordable tools and libraries.

That' all for today folks !

Tomorrow, I'll be on my Moto Guzzi with my wife riding to Corsica...

No more computers for a few days !

Best Regards
Stéphane