From: dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery)
Subject: Re: Inheritance and Ada
Date: 6 Jan 88 20:36:14 GMT	[thread overview]

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on faron (berkeley-unix)

There are at least 2 implementations of YACC for Ada.  One was done in
Finland, and described at a SIGAda a while ago.  The other is from
U.C. Irvine (I think).  The result of the latter tool is a package
with the appropriate routines made visible, and the tables and such in
the package body.

I do not see what the lack of a pre-processor has to do with YACC and
LEX.  There is nothing that prevents someone from building a
pre-processor for Ada.  YACC is not a pre-processor in the same sense
that the C pre-processor is.

On the other hand, the more traditional uses of the C pre-processor
includes things that are included in the Ada language, including
visibility (#include vs with), constants (#define FOO 15 vs foo :
constant := 15), and in-line procedures, doable in Ada using either
pragma inline, or generics.

Rather, I would say that the Ada 'culture' substitues the semantics of
the language for the textual substitution provided by a pre-processor.
Given the choice between compiler-checked language semantics, and
pre-processor substitutions, I think the former makes a lot more
sense.

				dave emery
				emery@mitre-bedford.arpa