From: jeff@slovax.UUCP
Subject: Re: Re: Overloading "and"
Date: Wed, 12-Nov-86 13:12:00 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Wed Nov 12 13:12:00 1986

> Nf-ID: #R:ucbvax.berkeley.edu:-114600:ada-uts:4700083:000:555
> Nf-From: ada-uts!stt    Nov  6 10:47:00 1986
>

> It is illegal to overload "and then" and "or else" (as these
> are "operations" but not "operators"), but it is
> perfectly legal to overload the logical operators "and,"
> "or," and "xor."
>
> The only restriction about overloading operators has to
> do with "=" and "/=."  You may not separately overload "/=,"
> and you may only define "=" for limited types, or by renaming
> another "=."   Thanks to generics, you can in fact
> define "=" for any type by doing so in an instantiation
> of a generic passing the type as the actual matching a formal
> limited private type.

Pardon me, no flames intended to the poster, but I just HAD to bring up
a point with such a good example available. I know that somebody somewhere,
with nothing better to do, decided what the "correct" method of punctuating
near (") quotation marks would be. The poster has "correctly" followed the
"rules", and I am not finding any fault with the poster.

My point is this: why put (,) commas and (.) periods, or any other
punctuation for that matter, within a technical quotation?

       for example:

> perfectly legal to overload the logical operators "and,"
> "or," and "xor."

Am I to assume that the poster is referring to (and,), (or,) and (xor.) ?

> do with "=" and "/=."  You may not separately overload "/=,"
> another "=."   Thanks to generics, you can in fact

Likewise, are we looking at (/=.) and (/=,) ?

Context and careful re-reading help the reader to understand what is really
being communicated, but is it REALLY necessary?

I admit, in this particular case, the above assumptions are rediculous.
There are, however, many topics that could be discussed, including a few
languages, where these assumptions would be quite reasonable.

Again, there are absolutely NO FLAMES INTENDED toward the poster, just
FLAMES for the rules.

Thanks for listening.
I feel better now.