From: "Ricardo Brandão" <rbrandao.br@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Starting learning ADA
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 07:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-06-09T07:31:59-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Joakim,

> From what I understand you have installed two different GNAT compilers on your computer and that's what causes the issues you see. First GNAT CE 2019 has been installed and then the FSF GNAT compiler by "sudo apt install gnat" and the FSF version of gprbuild by "sudo apt install gprbuild". The GNAT CE and FSF GNAT compilers are two different compilers and the binaries they produce are not compatible with each other (others in this forum can explain why much better than I can). In the GNAT CE installation, the gnatcoll library is pre-compiled by the GNAT CE compiler. Those binaries cannot be used by the FSF GNAT compiler. To get the computer in working order I suggest de-installing the FSF version of GNAT and gprbuild and then use the normal command prompt for using gprbuild (GNAT CE 2019 version).

Yes, I previously had installed a GCC program, so when I got the output below when I ran:

c:\>where gcc
c:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
D:\GNAT\2019\bin\gcc.exe

So, removing c:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe from PATH environment variable, I got remove the original problem, but I got new ones :). But probably, with Windows, as a newbie in Ada, I imagine the best is run through GPS.

BTW, I solved a problem I was stuck in GPS [1], I didn't get debug in GPS, with "new" PATH variable, debug worked fine.

> When opening the normal command prompt in Windows 10 and one executes "gcc --version" it should say it is the GNAT Community 2019 version of the compiler. You could try that in the Ubuntu Subsystem and I predict is will say gcc is the FSF version.

Exactly:

$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.11) 5.4.0 20160609

Well, my idea is be able to run Ada programs in many OSs and embedded devices. But probably for this moment, I imagine the better thing to do is start with GPS until I become familiar with Ada and after, move to others OSs and devices.

I noticed, as well, using the Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows 10 probably is not a good idea to understand how the stuffs run in a actual Linux distro.

Thanks

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.ada/cyrk-IRZBtQ

--
Ricardo Brandao