From: stt@inmet.inmet.com
Subject: Re: Use of "is separate" and compilatio
Date: 29 Nov 89 17:43:00 GMT	[thread overview]

Ed Matthews (edm@verdix.com) points out that fancy editors
can improve the situation w.r.t. subunits:

> . . . With modern
> editor technology and windowing, the entirety of a package, whether it
> be one package of 2500 lines, or 25 subunits of 100 lines, can be
> easily viewed.  Further, in editors with syntactic and semantic
> navigation, understanding a unit is equally easy no matter how the
> program is structured.

I can't argue with this since I haven't got one of these fancy editors!
("Tags" with vi helps a little, but has real trouble with overloading
and the multi-level namespace.)

In any case, even though I do have a multi-window workstation on my desk,
I still find I like to look at good old hard-copy listings
now and then, and hyper-text just hasn't arrived on our line printer
(nor even our laser printer!) yet.  Lots of subunits make any
kind of paper and pencil work a royal pain.

S. Tucker Taft
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138