* [gnuada] R7 has been released
@ 2007-05-20  8:56 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-05-20  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

The GNU Ada Project [1] just released the 7th generation of Ada compiler
distribution. This i a major release with lots of new functionality and
extended Ada 2005 support.

From the release notes:

The R7 release is based on GCC 4.2.0 and GPL 2007 - both
version now offer Ada 2005 features.

First version to be released is SuSE 10.2 x86_64. 64 bit
support is significantly improved and most of the
special 64 bit patches are not needed any more. Still
AdaCore won't supply GNAT/GPL for 64 platforms.

ASIS is not available GNAT/GCC 4.2.0 as the current ASIS
code is incompatible - we hope to get them in sync with
GCC 4.3.0 again.

GPS is not available for GNAT/GPL 2007 as the new GPS 4.1.0
is not compatible with GNAT/GPL 2007. We might provide an
older version later.

GNAT/GCC features all main GCC languages for convenient
multi language development. GNAT/GPL has been reduced to
just Ada and C - which reduces the download and
installation foodprint.

All tools have all been updated and Z-Shell has been added
to the list tools. Z-Shell is more advanced then bash and
forlot of the tricky hacks needed for bash could be
replaced with simpler and easier to understand techniques.
We also work on a gnat aware command line competion for
Z-Shell.

Martin

[1] http://gnuada.sf.net
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: R7 has been released
@ 2007-05-22  2:30 ` Steve Whalen
From: Steve Whalen @ 2007-05-22  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 20, 1:56 am, Martin Krischik <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
> All tools have all been updated and Z-Shell has been added
> to the list tools. Z-Shell is more advanced then bash and
> forlot of the tricky hacks needed for bash could be
> replaced with simpler and easier to understand techniques.
> We also work on a gnat aware command line competion for
> Z-Shell.

Martin,

Have you used the BUSH Business Shell which is built using
Ada (95) syntax? It looks interesting, but the couple
of times I've tried to install it on one of my Debian
machines, there's been a dependency problem or something
similar, and I got busy and never got it running. I'm
curious to hear if anyone is using it and if it's as
good as it looks.

It would seem a natural tool to make use of in an
Ada distribution. The BUSH web site / download is at:
http://www.pegasoft.ca/bush.html

Steve

* Re: R7 has been released
@ 2007-05-22  6:27   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-05-22  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Whalen schrieb:
> On May 20, 1:56 am, Martin Krischik <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>> All tools have all been updated and Z-Shell has been added
>> to the list tools. Z-Shell is more advanced then bash and
>> forlot of the tricky hacks needed for bash could be
>> replaced with simpler and easier to understand techniques.
>> We also work on a gnat aware command line competion for
>> Z-Shell.
>
> Martin,
>
> Have you used the BUSH Business Shell which is built using
> Ada (95) syntax? It looks interesting, but the couple
> of times I've tried to install it on one of my Debian
> machines, there's been a dependency problem or something
> similar, and I got busy and never got it running. I'm
> curious to hear if anyone is using it and if it's as
> good as it looks.

I tried BUSH once and I thought it to be a nice idea. At the time it was
lacking some of the important features of a shell so I put it on my
"watch for improvements" list.

> It would seem a natural tool to make use of in an
> Ada distribution. The BUSH web site / download is at:
> http://www.pegasoft.ca/bush.html

Well I need to have another look.

Martin
--
Martin Krischik

* Re: R7 has been released
@ 2007-05-22  9:48   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-05-22  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Whalen wrote:
> Have you used the BUSH Business Shell which is built using
> Ada (95) syntax? It looks interesting, but the couple
> of times I've tried to install it on one of my Debian
> machines, there's been a dependency problem or something
> similar, and I got busy and never got it running. I'm
> curious to hear if anyone is using it and if it's as
> good as it looks.
>
> It would seem a natural tool to make use of in an
> Ada distribution. The BUSH web site / download is at:http://www.pegasoft.ca/bush.html

I considered packaging BUSH for Debian but decided not to spread
myself too thin (I already maintain ~18 packages, GCC and gnat-gps
being the largest two). IIRC, BUSH depends on the Booch Components,
which I also decided not to package for lack of time. Of course, if
anyone wants to package the Booch Components, BUSH, or any other fine
piece of Ada software, I'll be happy to answer questions and sponsor
the packages into the official Debian archive.

--
Ludovic Brenta.