From: Gour <gour@atmarama.net>
Subject: Re: Ada & Unicode support
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:40:25 +0200
Date: 2014-09-21T08:40:25+02:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 18:07:23 -0700 (PDT)
David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

> Before you jump the Ada ship so quick, I have not made any official
> announcements yet, since there is much more to go for my 1.0 goals (I
> have a few more weeks), but take a look at http://www.gnoga.com you
> will find that with that Ada may be the best choice today for web app
> development :)

Let me say that when I wrote 'web development' I was really thinking
about learning Go in order to be able to tweak Hugo static site
generator which I use for web sites.

Otherwise, I'm not so much interested for writing 'web apps'.

> Is like having Node.JS, Go, Java, JS and all combined on Steroids and
> no need to write a desktop and Web version of any app and cross
> platform to every platform that Ada runs for local UI and remote UI
> to anything from a flip phone to an IPad.

As I wrote above, not being such a big fan of web-everywhere. That
option was suggested to me in every programming language's community I
was evaluating. :-)

I'm more an old-school guy preferring, at least for my use cases,
classical desktop app.

However, I'm curious about the widget set which should be available for
Gnoga?

I understand that web apps are capable to replace desktop things in many
cases, but, otoh, I believe that in majority of use cases those 'apps'
are anyway so dumb so simple cli app could fulfill the need.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who restrains his senses, keeping them under full control,
and fixes his consciousness upon Me, is known as a man of