From: Gour <gour@atmarama.net>
Subject: Re: Ada & Unicode support
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:34:38 +0200
Date: 2014-09-21T08:34:38+02:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 02:17:36 +0200
Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> You need to distinguish between the character set and encoding of the
> Ada text (which you give to the compiler) and the character set(s) and
> encoding(s) that your program must support.

Right.

> For example, GNAT supports several encodings, including UTF-8 with
> command-line options.

OK, that's enough and glad to hear it.

>The String Encoding package is there to help you transcode text between
>8-bit Latin_1, UTF-8, proper UTF-16 and UTF-32.

Ahh, that was the missing link. Thank you.

> GTK+ and GtkAda treat all strings as UTF-8.  If your program uses
> GtkAda, then don't bother transcoding anything and specify that all
> Strings really contain UTF-8.

That's just what we wanted to hear. UTF-8 everywhere and less
complications. :-)

> HTH

Yes, thanks again.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good
or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it,