From: Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Chicken or the egg. New targets & runtimes
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:29:10 +0300
Date: 2012-05-16T21:29:10+03:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
"Rego, P." <pvrego@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Getting Ada with simple tasking on AVR8 would be nice just because of the large Arduino world, but I don't see any big reason to focus on AVR32.  Unless, of course, somebody has an AVR32 board and wants to do the work. :)
> For me it's more interesting to use tasking on AVR8. Actually would be very good to use it on an Arduino Duemilanove (Atmega328P).

I am not so sure is it practical to use tasking on Arduino/Atmega328P.

For example, if you have 4 tasks and divide memory equally, each task
gets only about 512 bytes (2KB total / 4 = 512b and you need to
reserve a little for the scheduler also). In addition, task switching
overheard might become quite big, since you need to save quite many
registers in every switch and processor CPU frequency is limited to
20MHz at maximum.

But, I agree that (implementing) the tasking would be interesting,
whether or not it being useful. :)

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/