* AdaRocks.com
@ 2012-03-17 20:26 Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2012-03-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone pointed me at this site. I noticed some errors in an article on the
site, and tried to contact the webmaster there but could find no contact
information.

So I tried creating an account to post a comment -- but all I got from that
was an "timeout" from an unresponsive site.

So hopefully the webmaster stops by here once in a while.

                   Randy.

The commen on the articlet:  AdaIC: Jan Ichbiah news page

(1) His name is "Jean Ichbiah", not "Jan"!

(2) The link you were looking for was his death announcement -- from 2007!
It's hardly news anymore. Even so, you can still find it in the archives at:
http://archive.adaic.com/news/pressrelease/ichbiah.html.

(3) When the AdaIC site was redesigned, a lot of links were dropped,
including this one. It's the price of progress.

(4) You can always find anything still available by using the Ada-wide
search engine (be sure to check the AdaIC archives if you are looking for
old articles):
http://www.adaic.org/ada-resources/ada-on-the-web/
(And you should have told someone about your site so that it is linked from
AdaIC and in this search index.)

(5) There are no articles about "people" on the new AdaIC. Perhaps that's a
fault, perhaps not; I know that the article on Ada Lovelace on the old AdaIC
site got more complaints about inaccuracy than praise. In any case, if you
want to see something on AdaIC, send a message to webmaster@adaic.com and
ask. Complaining about something on a blog page somewhere that no one has
ever heard of is not a good way to get something fixed.

                     Randy Brukardt, former AdaIC webmaster

* Re: AdaRocks.com
@ 2012-03-18 10:49 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-03-18 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:26:38 +0100, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com>
a écrit:

> Someone pointed me at this site. I noticed some errors in an article on
> the
> site, and tried to contact the webmaster there but could find no contact
> information.
>
> So I tried creating an account to post a comment -- but all I got from
> that
> was an "timeout" from an unresponsive site.
>
> So hopefully the webmaster stops by here once in a while.
>
>                    Randy.
The webmaster did not stop, seems on the contrary he/she just started.
Whois for adarocks.com says “Creation Date: 03-mar-2012”

For contact, did you try a simple contact@adarocks.com ?

* Re: AdaRocks.com
@ 2012-03-18 11:38   ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2012-03-18 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

El domingo 18 de marzo de 2012 11:49:36 UTC+1, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)  escribió:
> Le Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:26:38 +0100, Randy Brukardt a écrit:
>
> > Someone pointed me at this site. I noticed some errors in an article on
> > the
> > site, and tried to contact the webmaster there but could find no contact
> > information.
> >
> > So I tried creating an account to post a comment -- but all I got from
> > that
> > was an "timeout" from an unresponsive site.
> >
> > So hopefully the webmaster stops by here once in a while.
> >
> >                    Randy.
> The webmaster did not stop, seems on the contrary he/she just started.
> Whois for adarocks.com says “Creation Date: 03-mar-2012”

If you finally contact him, please tell him also to redirect www.adarocks.com to adarocks.com or viceversa.

By the way, it's nice to see a new Ada site on the Internet, but I think the Ada community should collaborate more on communal web sites rather than individual-effort sites. What we do not need are more frozen (adahome.com, adapower.com) or disappeared (adaworld.com) websites. And I hope adacommons.org did not enter the second category. I noticed from yesterday that it is down.

        Manuel Gómez

* Re: AdaRocks.com
@ 2012-03-18 12:09     ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-03-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:38:09 +0100, Manuel Gomez <mgrojo@gmail.com> a
écrit:
> If you finally contact him, please tell him also to redirect
> www.adarocks.com to adarocks.com or viceversa.
Yes, a common pitfall. I will tell him/her myself later today.

> By the way, it's nice to see a new Ada site on the Internet, but I think
> the Ada community should collaborate more on communal web sites rather
> than individual-effort sites.
I don't agree with that belief. We already have references sites. And
communal web sites need not be big or kind of monopolistic sites. There
may be as much site as there are people sufficiently involved, each
exposing some point of view and experiences. Trying to federate too much
may break consistency, just like you may break some style and design rules
when you build an application from too much varying in style and design
piece of libraries or already existing software. Individual web sites has
values due to their nature and do not prevent bigger and more
collaborative sites, at least because authors of tiny and personal sites
can belong to communal and collaborative sites (or Usenet groups).

* Re: AdaRocks.com
@ 2012-03-18 15:44       ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2012-03-18 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

El domingo 18 de marzo de 2012 13:09:47 UTC+1, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)  escribió:
> Le Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:38:09 +0100, Manuel Gomez a
> écrit:
> > By the way, it's nice to see a new Ada site on the Internet, but I think
> > the Ada community should collaborate more on communal web sites rather
> > than individual-effort sites.
> I don't agree with that belief. We already have references sites. And
> communal web sites need not be big or kind of monopolistic sites. There
> may be as much site as there are people sufficiently involved, each
> exposing some point of view and experiences. Trying to federate too much
> may break consistency, just like you may break some style and design rules
> when you build an application from too much varying in style and design
> piece of libraries or already existing software. Individual web sites has
> values due to their nature and do not prevent bigger and more
> collaborative sites, at least because authors of tiny and personal sites
> can belong to communal and collaborative sites (or Usenet groups).

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy every new site devoted to Ada. What sometimes bothers me is the abandonment of sites just because the only one maintainer looses interest, which is also legitimate. Therefore I think that more collaborative approaches are useful, because there is always someone who can continue the effort. By the way, I see there are two authors collaborating in adarocks.com according to the post list [1]. That is good.

[1]: http://adarocks.com/tracker2

* AdaCommons (Re: AdaRocks.com)
@ 2012-03-28 18:19     ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2012-03-28 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 04:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
Manuel Gomez <mgrojo@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I hope adacommons.org did not enter the second category.
> I noticed from yesterday that it is down.

AdaCommons.org domain expired and it was too expensive to renew, so
"jk4" from #Ada@Freenode irc channel offered commons.ada.cx subdomain
for it.

The new address of AdaCommons is
  http://commons.ada.cx/