* AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2011-10-24 18:14 Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-10-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does someone know why tasking aren't supported by avr-ada? Is it yet under development? I read in some place in sourceforge project that there is the intention to turn avr-ada in a run-time system, it would be very good.

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2011-10-25 21:53 ` KK6GM
From: KK6GM @ 2011-10-25 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 24, 11:14 am, "Rego, P." <pvr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does someone know why tasking aren't supported by avr-ada? Is it yet under development? I read in some place in sourceforge project that there is the intention to turn avr-ada in a run-time system, it would be very good.

That would be a fascinating development if it happened.  I have no
idea what subset e.g. Ravenscar? could be reasonably ported to AVR,
but I would sure use it.  With the Arduino phenomenon AVR has a lot of
exposure these days.  It would be a good place for Ada to get some
notice.

Ada w/ simple tasking on AVR and ARM Cortex M3.  Is that hoping for
too much?

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2011-10-26 11:06   ` Rego, P.
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-10-26 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That would be a fascinating development if it happened.  I have no
> idea what subset e.g. Ravenscar? could be reasonably ported to AVR,
> but I would sure use it.  With the Arduino phenomenon AVR has a lot of
> exposure these days.  It would be a good place for Ada to get some
> notice.

That's the point. I receive tons of posts from Instructables, and several other DIY sites with applications for Arduino, Boarduino, and other AVR models every day, and almost all that I look inside could be improved if developers could use Ada instead of C from scratch.

I got to build AVR-Ada recently for an 8-bit AVR, but sadly discovered that the tasking feature was not enabled yet. Anyway, it looks that we can program AVR in Ada also using RTEMS (which I began to try), but AVR-Ada looks easier to coding, so I'd prefer to use AVR-Ada (at least until I don't get to build with RTEMS)

> Ada w/ simple tasking on AVR and ARM Cortex M3.  Is that hoping for
> too much?

That's it.

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2011-10-27  1:59     ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2011-10-27  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I got to build AVR-Ada recently for an 8-bit AVR, but sadly discovered that the tasking feature was not enabled yet. Anyway, it looks that we can program AVR in Ada also using RTEMS (which I began to try), but AVR-Ada looks easier to coding, so I'd prefer to use AVR-Ada (at least until I don't get to build with RTEMS)

Actually RTEMS is giving me some trouble to be installed on Windows. Appears to be some incompatibilites with my cygwin version. AVR-Ada was easier to install, but few people talks about it here unfortunately.

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2011-11-09 16:11   ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2011-11-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
KK6GM <mjsilva@scriptoriumdesigns.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 11:14 am, "Rego, P." <pvr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does someone know why tasking aren't supported by avr-ada? Is it yet under development? I read in some place in sourceforge project that there is the intention to turn avr-ada in a run-time system, it would be very good.
>
> That would be a fascinating development if it happened.  I have no
> idea what subset e.g. Ravenscar? could be reasonably ported to AVR,
> but I would sure use it.  With the Arduino phenomenon AVR has a lot of
> exposure these days.  It would be a good place for Ada to get some
> notice.
>
> Ada w/ simple tasking on AVR and ARM Cortex M3.  Is that hoping for
> too much?

The development version of AVR-Ada includes bindings to avr-threads:
http://avr-ada.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=avr-ada/avr-ada;a=blob;f=avr/avr_lib/avr-threads.ads;h=635c5ea92aba2621cc4d7c98085033645b7ed6a6;hb=HEAD

It isn't as easy to use as native Ada tasks, but at least you don't
need to implement tasking by yourself.

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
@ 2012-02-10  2:31   ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2012-02-10  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just read on AVR-Ada sourceforge Status page (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Status) a thing which made me happy...

"The next version will be AVR-Ada V1.2. We intend to release it sometime in early 2012.
AVR-Ada V1.2

seriously expected features in V1.2

    Warren Gray's thread library
    support for local exceptions
    special support for the Arduino platform
    PWM based motor drivers for Arduino
    compiler based on gcc-4.7

later AVR-Ada versions

other elements under consideration:

    library for the Asuro robot
    Ada tagged types, interfaces, and dynamic dispatch
    Ada sytax for using the thread library "

* Re: AVR-Ada Tasking support
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-02-10  2:33   ` Rego, P.
From: Rego, P. @ 2012-02-10  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

And also "This page was last modified on 21 January 2012, at 20:27." :-)
So I suppose the project is back online.