* Passing shell arguments to Ada programs the Linux way
@ 2011-07-02 14:47 A famous IT technical writer
From: A famous IT technical writer @ 2011-07-02 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi any Ada fan or beginner,

You may find a solution on how to pass shell arguments to an Ada
program the Linux way. The code has been tested on Linux. As it makes
use of the GCC suite, the code is usable under any operating system
which implements the GCC suite. Here is the URL link where to look at:
http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/Linux-Ada-getopt_long-Passing_shells_arguments_to_programs-The_Linux_way.html

The code in this paper is a C to Ada translation. You may find the
corresponding C original code at this URL link:
http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/All-OS-C-getopt_long-Passing_shells_arguments_to_programs-The_Linux_way.html

In the hope this may help you coding very user-friendly man/machine
interfaces.

Yours truly,

* Re: Passing shell arguments to Ada programs the Linux way
@ 2011-07-02 15:40 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2011-07-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

A famous IT technical writer <Philippe.vouters@laposte.net> writes:

> You may find a solution on how to pass shell arguments to an Ada
> program the Linux way. The code has been tested on Linux. As it makes
> use of the GCC suite, the code is usable under any operating system
> which implements the GCC suite.

GNAT users could also look at GNAT.Command_Line.

* Re: Passing shell arguments to Ada programs the Linux way
@ 2011-07-03  5:44   ` anon
From: anon @ 2011-07-03  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada is defined as an "Operating System independent" language. Which means
if it works in Linux it MUST work for all Operating Systems not just Linux.

And most want their programs to work in Linux, Windows, etc. So, for Ada
users we process the "command line" by the definition set in the RM by
using the package "Ada.Command_Line".

In other way, is a waste of time for Ada users.

Note: As for "GNAT.Command_Line", well it can only be found in Adacore's
GNAT Ada. Which some will say it not a standard RM Ada package, so why
use it. because it might disappear next year. Which means the programmer
may have to support that package that they do not fully understand. The
problem with Adacore's non RM packages (GNAT.*, and a lot of System.*)
is that they are to "Operating System" dependant.

Also, "Ada.Command_Line" will work for Linux 3.x. Will these others
packages, that's the question. This is the problem when designing packages
for Linux at the end of a major design steam such as Linux 0.x, 1.x and 2,x
and now 3.x.

@ 2011-07-04 16:59     ` Oliver Kleinke
From: Oliver Kleinke @ 2011-07-04 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Err, excuse me but nanos gigantium humeris insidentes?

@ 2011-07-05  5:07       ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2011-07-05  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Jul., 18:59, Oliver Kleinke <oliver.klei...@c-01a.de> wrote:
> Err, excuse me but nanos gigantium humeris insidentes?
humeris -> umeris

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

* Re: Passing shell arguments to Ada programs the Linux way
@ 2011-07-05 16:28         ` Oliver Kleinke
From: Oliver Kleinke @ 2011-07-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de>:

> On 4 Jul., 18:59, Oliver Kleinke <oliver.klei...@c-01a.de> wrote:
> > Err, excuse me but nanos gigantium humeris insidentes?
> humeris -> umeris
>
> In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

Actually both words have the same meaning.

Linguam Latinam non loquor.