* Ahven versus AUnit?
@ 2010-12-13 23:30 R Tyler Croy
From: R Tyler Croy @ 2010-12-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

As some of you might know, I'm fresh to Ada.

For my first project I'm using AUnit, but I've also stumbled across Ahven:
    <http://ahven.stronglytyped.org>

I'm wondering if anybody experienced has tried both and can perhaps point out
some pros/cons of choosing one over the other?

I also can't tell which is maintained more than the other :/

- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------
    Code: http://github.com/rtyler
 Chatter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
          http://identi.ca/dero

* Re: Ahven versus AUnit?
@ 2010-12-14  2:14 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2010-12-14  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

R Tyler Croy <tyler@linux.com> writes:

> As some of you might know, I'm fresh to Ada.
>
> For my first project I'm using AUnit, but I've also stumbled across Ahven:
>     <http://ahven.stronglytyped.org>
>
> I'm wondering if anybody experienced has tried both and can perhaps point out
> some pros/cons of choosing one over the other?

Can't help there.

> I also can't tell which is maintained more than the other :/

AUnit is maintained by AdaCore, Ahven by its (volunteer) author. So I
suspect AUnit is better maintained.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ahven versus AUnit?
@ 2010-12-14  5:18   ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2010-12-14  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Ahven's author here.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:14:43 -0500 Stephen Leake wrote:

> R Tyler Croy <tyler@linux.com> writes:
>
> > As some of you might know, I'm fresh to Ada.
> >
> > For my first project I'm using AUnit, but I've also stumbled across Ahven:
> >     <http://ahven.stronglytyped.org>
> >
> > I'm wondering if anybody experienced has tried both and can perhaps point out
> > some pros/cons of choosing one over the other?

Ahven is mainly useful if you have some special needs, like if you
have to use Ada 95 code or you need the unit test library licensed
under less strict Open Source license (GPL vs. ISC).

APIs are somewhat similar since both frameworks try to imitate xUnit
family frameworks.

Previously this was discussed in June:
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/browse_thread/thread/2273a296de8c1b6d?hl=ky

> > I also can't tell which is maintained more than the other :/
>
> AUnit is maintained by AdaCore, Ahven by its (volunteer) author. So I
> suspect AUnit is better maintained.

Yes, I suspect this also.

In theory, I have tried to do two or three releases in a year, but this
year there has been only one and time between 1.7 and 1.8 was 9 months.
In addition, there has been no commits to Ahven's repository in 3 months.

This 3 month silence can be explained by telling that our family got
a new member about 3 months ago and the new member has complained louder
than Ahven's users. :)

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/