* App Binaries and different Linux Distros
@ 2009-03-28 14:52 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2009-03-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

My dev environment is Ubuntu. Some apps I am developing are targeted
to run on a CentOS server. Any gotchas re running the binary built on
Ubuntu?

Most are network, text based applications.

Thanks for any pointers. srini

* Re: App Binaries and different Linux Distros
@ 2009-03-28 17:14 ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-03-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:52:48 -0700 (PDT) RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com
wrote:

> My dev environment is Ubuntu. Some apps I am developing are targeted
> to run on a CentOS server. Any gotchas re running the binary built on
> Ubuntu?

You need to be careful with the shared library versions.
It is best if you can build fully static binaries.

Another issue is the architecture. A binary for i386 might not run
on amd64 system (without extra tweaking).

For example, Ubuntu might be using glibc version 2.4.1 and shared GNAT
runtime 4.2.2. At the same time CentOS (or other Linux distribution)
might use glibc version 2.3.2 and GNAT runtime 4.0.0.

If you use functions which exist only in the newer library version,
then your application don't work on systems with older libraries.

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/