* ANN: Ahven 1.5
@ 2009-02-23 20:44 Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-02-23 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am pleased to announce Ahven 1.5.

Ahven is a simple unit testing library for Ada 95 programming language.

Ahven project recently moved from Gna! to SourceForge and this is first
release from sf.net.

Changes include:
 * Rewritten Janus/Ada build system
 * Minor changes to GNAT build scripts
 * Bug fix for Ahven.Slist package API documentation generation

New homepage location is
 http://ahven.sourceforge.net/

Source code is available as tar.gz and zip packages from
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=253736

Version control repository can be found from
 http://ahven.cvs.sourceforge.net/ahven/

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/

* Re: ANN: Ahven 1.5
@ 2009-02-23 22:50 ` rolf.ebert_nospam_
From: rolf.ebert_nospam_ @ 2009-02-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Feb., 21:44, Tero Koskinen <tero.koski...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Ahven is a simple unit testing library for Ada 95 programming language.

What's the difference to aunit?

* Re: ANN: Ahven 1.5
@ 2009-02-24  5:47   ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-02-24  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:50:48 -0800 (PST) rolf.ebert_nospam_@gmx.net
wrote:
> On 23 Feb., 21:44, Tero Koskinen <tero.koski...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Ahven is a simple unit testing library for Ada 95 programming language.
>
> What's the difference to aunit?

Ahven's API is similar to AUnit (1.0x series), but Ahven is plain Ada 95
code and works with other compilers than GNAT. In addition, Ahven is
distributed under ISC (modified BSD) license, so you can embed it
freely into commercial applications.

You can also get test results in XML format and therefore integrate
Ahven into continuous integration systems (Cruisecontrol, Hudson).

Originally, I created Ahven because AUnit was missing some features
which I needed and instead of extending pure GPL project, it was easy
enough to create a new library with ISC license.

--

@ 2009-02-24 10:38     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-02-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tero Koskinen schrieb:

> Ahven's API is similar to AUnit (1.0x series), but Ahven is plain Ada 95
> code and works with other compilers than GNAT. In addition, Ahven is
> distributed under ISC (modified BSD) license, so you can embed it
> freely into commercial applications.

More accurately, please consider replacing "commercial"
with "protected source" or similar.

GPL software is the technical fundament of
of a numer commercially successful enterprises.

I do know that not all software can be exposed freely
to the many freeloading business men out there. Which
is what the GPL will require of those selling binary
programming produce.

* Re: ANN: Ahven 1.5
@ 2009-02-24 17:45       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-02-24 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 24, 11:38 am, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauh...@futureapps.de>
wrote:
> Tero Koskinen schrieb:
>
> > Ahven's API is similar to AUnit (1.0x series), but Ahven is plain Ada 95
> > code and works with other compilers than GNAT. In addition, Ahven is
> > distributed under ISC (modified BSD) license, so you can embed it
> > freely into commercial applications.
>
> More accurately, please consider replacing "commercial"
> with "protected source" or similar.

I'd rather call it "secret source" or simply "proprietary".  To me
"protected source" means that I am protected because I can see, modify
and distribute the source, i.e. it is Free Software :)

> GPL software is the technical fundament of
> of a numer commercially successful enterprises.
>
> I do know that not all software can be exposed freely
> to the many freeloading business men out there. Which
> is what the GPL will require of those selling binary
> programming produce.

Yes and the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPL) version 3 extends
the requirement to distribute the sources to those using the "software
as a service" business model.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: ANN: Ahven 1.5
@ 2009-02-24 21:02         ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-02-24 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:45:53 -0800 (PST) Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> On Feb 24, 11:38 am, Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauh...@futureapps.de>
> wrote:
> > Tero Koskinen schrieb:
> > > In addition, Ahven is
> > > distributed under ISC (modified BSD) license, so you can embed it
> > > freely into commercial applications.
> >
> > More accurately, please consider replacing "commercial"
> > with "protected source" or similar.
>
> I'd rather call it "secret source" or simply "proprietary".

Thanks for suggestions. I actually use term "commercial application"
only the manual (which is not built or installed by default), but
I changed the wording there to "proprietary commercial application"[1],
just in case someone looks at it.

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/

[1] Wikipedia seems to use this form in its BSD license article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licence

* ANN: Ahven 1.6
@ 2009-02-28  9:53 ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2009-02-28  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:44:31 +0200 Tero Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce Ahven 1.5.

Oops, I messed up GNAT installation in version 1.5.
Thanks to Reto Buerki for noticing it and providing a fix.

I released today Ahven 1.6, which is basically Ahven 1.5
with the GNAT installation fix applied.

Like earlier, Source code is available as tar.gz and zip packages from